Here at the University of Essex Online, we believe that education should be accessible to all. That is why we offer both an academic and work-based experience route onto our PG Cert Education (Educational Practice) course. Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic entry route
You must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a or a relevant professional qualification.
Work experience entry route
You must meet the following criteria:
- at least two years’ teaching experience in a post-compulsory educational setting
English language requirement
Our courses are taught in English so to study with us you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Months of entry
April, July, October
Do you want to improve your teaching skills? If so, our short PG Cert Education* will provide you with an understanding of philosophy, learning and education theories, conducted by expert tutors. Effectively tailor your teaching methods and educational resources to meet a broad range of student needs.
During this online short course, you will explore professional practice in education. This will enable you to pursue ongoing professional development, including critical reflection, research and enquiry, and participation in discourse with relevant communities of practice.
Throughout the duration of the course, you will examine a wide range of topics including:
- contemporary educational assessment practice: the key issues
- the historical and philosophical context of educational practice
- learning pedagogical strategies
- The theory and practice of Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL)
*Please note that PG Cert Education (Educational Practice) is not an equivalent to a PGCE qualification, which is a teacher training qualification in the UK.
Fees and funding
- Full payment discount of 5% if you pay upfront.
- Regional scholarship available for international students based overseas in eligible countries.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
- 10% corporate discount available when three or more of your employees study with us.
£4,056 UK / £4,143 International (2023-24)
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time8 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 1206 489 358