Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in economics or related subject with substantial technical component (e.g. mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering) You will also need to submit a personal statement which clearly evidences a strong desire to pursue an academic career in economics and show evidence of exposure to multivariable calculus, matrix algebra and basic probability/statistics. Only academic references will be accepted. Referees will know the applicants in the capacity of students/researchers, not from internship or work in private/public sector. Applicants are encouraged to submit any additional (academic) documents they believe will support their application.
Months of entry
This two-year programme provides rigorous mathematical training in modern economics. It will equip you with a thorough understanding of the research tools and techniques, both theoretical and empirical, required for the analysis of economics.
- This MRes is distinctive in its two-year programme structure and will provide you with comprehensive foundational training in economics. It is modelled on the established tradition of US universities providing thorough PhD preparation.
- It is ideally suited if you have a quantitative background, but limited exposure to economic ideas, or if you have a background in economics and are interested in developing this knowledge in line with the current standards of economics research.
- It includes extensive training in qualitative research methods of mathematics, statistics and econometrics, as well as the mathematical treatment of the core areas of economics.
- Our staff members are research-active economists, who publish regularly in leading professional journals such as Econometrica, Theoretical Economics, the Economic Journal, and the Review of Economic Dynamics.
- You will have the opportunity to join the Economics Group, which is a vibrant postgraduate research community that runs a series of seminars dedicated to different subjects within economics. The group also hosts workshops and conferences, and attracts international research visitors of world-leading quality.
Adam Smith Business School is triple accredited www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/aboutus/accreditationsandrankings/
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Adam Smith Business School