2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (eg, a GPA of 3.0 or above) in economics or related subject with substantial technical component (e.g. mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering) You will also need to submit a personal statement which clearly evidences a strong desire to pursue an academic career in Economics and show evidence of exposure to multivariable calculus, matrix algebra and basic probability/statistics.
Only academic references will be accepted. Referees will know the applicants in the capacity of students/researchers, not from internship or work in private/public sector. Applicants are encouraged to submit any additional (academic) documents they believe will support their application.
Months of entry
This programme provides rigorous training in modern economics and equips you with a comprehensive understanding of the research tools and techniques, both theoretical and empirical, required for the analysis of economics phenomena. It aims to produce graduates that are well-equipped to pursue careers in academia, government, industry, or consulting.
- This programme is unique in Scotland and joins a small number of similar programmes in the UK. It is modelled on the long-established tradition at US universities of providing thorough PhD preparation.
- Economics at Glasgow has a large group of research-active economists, who publish regularly in leading professional journals.
- The Economics Group runs five weekly seminar series, hosts workshops and conferences, and attracts international research visitors of world-leading quality. You are strongly encouraged to attend these research-oriented events.
- The University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School celebrates the legacy of Adam Smith by developing enlightened, enterprising and engaged graduates and internationally recognised research with real social impact.
Information for international students
Please see the English language requirements.
Fees and funding
Please see the scholarship opportunities available.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Adam Smith Business School