2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in any subject.
Months of entry
This Masters will provide you with an understanding of the contemporary issues impacting on the tourism industry, and will explore the cultural, environmental and sustainability dimensions of rural and urban tourism. By the end, you will have the managerial and service-related knowledge and understanding to participate in and develop internationally attractive tourism offerings. This degree is offered as a partnership between the Adam Smith Business School and School of Interdisciplinary Studies, drawing on the University’s research strengths in management and tourism. You will spend your time at both the Gilmorehill and Dumfries campuses.
- Tourism is increasingly impacting upon the sustainability of the regions, cultures and attractions of interest. This programme will enable you to better understand how to protect and exploit fragile socio-economic resources, how we identify international best practice and learn from it, and how to shape new sustainable futures.
- You will address a key issue facing communities, industry and government, and learn how best to develop tourism potential without endangering the surrounding infrastructure and environment.
- The programme seeks to develop your theoretical knowledge of models and concepts within service management and sustainable tourism, including skills applicable to real world scenarios.
- Through industry engagement, you will be able to embed learning and development within the dynamic context of tourism related research, practice and policymaking.
- The programme will introduce you to a range of theories, concepts and methodological approaches across disciplines.
- Through a critical and reflective approach, you will be able to identify potential opportunities in tourism and manage operations to provide sustainable futures.
- There will be opportunities to visit various organisations in the tourism and heritage industry such as Annandale Distillery, Big Burns Supper, Ewart Library and The Hunterian.
Adam Smith Business School is triple accredited
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions