You are required to have a BSc (2.1), BDS or medical degree, or a nursing degree (general or dental).
Months of entry
This MSc programme is designed to provide students with an in-depth working knowledge of the principles and practice related to Oral Sciences. The major strength of this programme is that the programme is aligned to and delivered by internationally renowned members from the Oral Sciences Research Group located within Glasgow Dental School. Students will experience and participate in cutting edge research within the theme while learning techniques widely relevant to biomedical sciences. This programme will be of particular interest to those interested in pursuing or furthering careers in oral and dental related occupations, as well as laboratory scientists or academics. This programme also enables graduates to gain experience in research before applying to a doctoral programme.
Why this programme
- If you are passionate about oral sciences and keen to learn through an in-depth, evidence based, critical approach, and enthusiastic about specialising in a particular area – oral disease pathogenesis or infection control and decontamination, then this programme is for you.
- Our staff are internationally experienced researchers and academics with both clinician and science backgrounds, experts in biofilm infections, oral inflammation and infection control.
- There is a long tradition of excellence in Oral Sciences at the University of Glasgow, with pioneering research by MacFarlane, Samaranayake and Bagg, and other current Glasgow academics continue to make important contributions in the field of Oral Sciences.
- A range of transferable skills are integrated and embedded into this programme, which will improve possibilities in the job market.
- You will undertake research alongside pre- and post-doctoral researchers and learn how to work as a team and improve technical skills and communication.
- Students can learn first-hand within a dedicated oral sciences research laboratory infrastructure linked directly to clinical research facilities.
- There is a direct link with our doctoral research programme.
- Translational research approaches
- Evidence based medicine and statistics
- Laboratory techniques in oral sciences
- Principles of oral sciences
- Research methods in oral sciences
- Research dissertation in oral sciences
Graduates are well placed for a variety of employment opportunities in the oral and dental industries, as well as a wide array of the biomedical science sectors. This course provides a sound basis from which to apply for employment in laboratory positions in industry or in academia, or to continue professional training in dentistry and oral hygiene, or for further doctoral-level research training for academic or teaching careers.
A high proportion of our graduates go on to complete PhDs in Glasgow or other high quality institutions across the world. Careers of some of our recent graduates include:
- Clinical research scientist (NHS)
- Senior clinical scientist (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Laboratory scientist (BluTest Laboratories)
- Assistant professor (Khyber Medical University)
- Associate professor (University Sains Malaysia)
- Postdoctoral research fellows (University of Glasgow)
- Scientist (Scottish Environmental Protection Agency)
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Please see the list of scholarship opportunities available.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- MVLS Oral Science