Entry requirements are normally a 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject area (product design engineering, mechanical engineering, electronic and electrical engineering being of particular relevance) or equivalent professional practice. Depending on your previous experience and qualifications you may be asked to complete a design engineering assignment as part of your application. Further information regarding academic entry requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Months of entry
The Masters in Product Design Engineering, taught in collaboration with the School of Design, Glasgow School of Art will develop your ability to design products with significant engineering content, address user needs, and optimise solutions for specific markets.
- This exciting programme will enable you to benefit from the combined resources and complementary expertise of staff of two top ranking Scottish institutions, University of Glasgow and Glasgow School of Art.
- Studio-based, student-centered learning based around design project activities. Students have access to state-of-the-art product design engineering prototyping and manufacturing processes in the PDE workshops at GSA and University of Glasgow.
- There are increasing pressures, from both existing and emerging world marketplaces, for products which not only respond to the needs of function, user and society, but which can be brought to market ever more rapidly through state-of-the-art development and manufacturing processes. Industries which develop, manufacture and market today's products need high-caliber graduates equipped to handle these processes with management skill and creative drive, and this programme develops graduates with these skills.
- The studio programme explores cultural, management, perceptual, process and psychological issues, offering a curriculum relevant to the needs of industry and an understanding of the role of the design engineer in society.
- The University of Glasgow’s School of Engineering has been delivering engineering education and research for more than 150 years and is the oldest School of Engineering in the UK.
You will attend lectures, seminars and tutorials and take part in lab, project, team and studio work, industrial visits, and workshops.
- Advanced manufacture
- Core research skills for postgraduates
- Human factors
- Integrated engineering design
- Micro-electronics in consumer products
- Product design engineering introduction project
- MSc project.
- Instrumentation and data systems
- Software engineering
- The Glasgow School of Art elective (you will choose from a list of options).
Examples of projects can be found online at the Graduate Degree Show
The MSc in Product Design Engineering aims to:
- Offer each individual student the opportunity to critically develop his or her own work in the context of a rigorous but supportive intellectual climate;
- Acquire key skills in the areas of user-centred design, product design, mechanical engineering, and electronic and electrical engineering;
- Encourage students to identify and explore key contextual issues relevant to their practice;
- Develop students' awareness and knowledge base in design philosophy, theory, practice and research in the context of innovative forms of design;
- Enable students to achieve the highest possible standards in their work, so that graduates have the confidence, maturity and intellectual and interpersonal skills necessary to function successfully in the design engineering field;
- Equip students with the highly developed intellectual, practical and interpersonal skills deemed necessary for their career.
Graduates destinations should expect to follow a similar pattern to our integrated masters programme which include Apple Computers (USA), BAESystems, Cambridge Consultants, Dyson, Hoover-Candy, JCB, Nokia, Philips, Polaroid, Schlumberger and Terex. Graduates could also establish their own companies.
This means that a student with an accredited BEng undergraduate degree can take the accredited "Further Learning" MSc to top-up their academic qualifications in order to meet the full academic requirements for conferral of the title of Chartered Engineer. This is an alternative route to the 5-year undergraduate MEng route.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- ibTOEFL: 90; no sub-test less than:
- Reading: 20
- Listening: 19
- Speaking: 19
- Writing: 23
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII at Distinction with Distinction in all sub-tests
For international students, the Home Office has confirmed that the University can choose to use these tests to make its own assessment of English language ability for visa applications to degree level programmes. The University is also able to accept an IELTS test (Academic module) from any of the 1000 IELTS test centres from around the world and we do not require a specific UKVI IELTS test for degree level programmes. We therefore still accept any of the English tests listed for admission to this programme.
The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the English for Academic Study Unit Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
Fees and funding
Visit our website for information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Katherine Henderson