A minimum of a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA 3.0 or equivalent) in a subject other than computing science.
Months of entry
The Masters in Software Development is a specialist version of the MSc (Information Technology), intended for students without a computing science background. It is an intensive, practically oriented programme focussing on professional software development stills, which students apply to a significant Software Development project.
- MSc Software Development is accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS).
- Our conversion MSc graduates in Information Technology and Software Development are recognised by the British Computer Society (BCS), The Chartered Institute for IT, for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional (CITP Partial Fulfilment).
- Information Technology (IT) pervades our lives. If you are a graduate and you are equipped with advanced software development skills, you will enjoy a significant advantage in pursuing your career, whatever your previous degree subject.
- The School of Computing Science is ranked 2nd in Scotland (Complete University Guide 2019).
- The School is a member of the Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance: SICSA. This collaboration of Scottish universities aims to develop Scotland's place as a world leader in Informatics and Computer Science research and education.
- The School of Computing Science has extensive contacts with industrial partners who contribute to several of their taught courses, through active teaching, curriculum development, and panel discussion. Recent contributors include representatives from IBM, J.P. Morgan, Amazon, Adobe and Red Hat.
- During the programme students have an opportunity to develop and practice relevant professional and transferrable skills, and to meet and learn from employers about working in the IT industry.
- You will have opportunities to meet employers who come to make recruitment presentations, and often seek to recruit our graduates during the programme.
- You will benefit from having 24-hour access to a computer laboratory equipped with state-of-the-art hardware and software.
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The Masters in Software Development will give you an intensive grounding in computer programming, professional software development, and related professional skills and issues. You will apply your knowledge and skills by undertaking a demanding software development project.
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions