A bachelor degree from a UK university or equivalent. For secondary education, the degree should contain 80 credit points relevant to the subject chosen, 40 of which at Year 2 or above plus Higher English at grade C or equivalent. For primary education, also minimum Standard Grade Mathematics at credit level or equivalent. Some work experience in a school classroom is also required.
Months of entry
Why this programme
- If you are an aspiring teacher, this programme will provide you with the knowledge, skills and values you need to become the committed professional necessary for today’s schools.
- As well as offering courses in educational and curricular issues, the programme also highlights the importance of practitioner enquiry. This systematic reflection on teaching in the classroom gives the programme its distinctive Masters character.
- The programme consists of 18 weeks of study in the University and 18 weeks of school experience in our partner schools. Within the programme there are separate pathways you can take for qualification as a primary teacher or as a secondary teacher.
The programme will prepare you to meet the demands of the profession through the following areas of study
- Understanding learning and teaching
- Learning and teaching in the primary curriculum OR Learning and teaching in the secondary curriculum
- Professional enquiry
- Religious education (students who complete this course will be awarded the Catholic Teacher’s Certificate in Religious Education)
- School placements.
Secondary teaching qualifications are offered in the following subjects
- Art and design
- Business education
- Modern languages (French, French with Spanish, French with Italian, French with German, Spanish with French)
- Modern studies
- Religious education.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 (with no subtest less than 6) iBT TOEFL 92 (with no less than 21 in Listening & writing, 22 in reading, 23 in speaking) Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - B minimum or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - C minimum
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Secretary