- A 2.1 equivalent degree (GPA 3.0) in a relevant subject.
- Students with a 2.2 equivalent degree (GPA 2.7), but 2.1 equivalent marks in their maths and core theory subjects may be considered for entry.
The GPA listed above is the US System. Find out your country's equivalent GPA.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This Masters programme provides advanced experience of the central role that manufacture and design take in the integration of mechanical engineering.
- The University of Glasgow has been delivering world-class engineering education and research since 1840. Mechanical Engineering is a core engineering discipline that has a long history in the University dating back to the 1760s with academic contributors such as James Watt.
- The School of Engineering has extensive contacts with industrial partners who contribute to several of their taught courses through active teaching, curriculum development, and panel discussion. Recent contributors in the area of mechanical engineering include Babcock, Howdens and Terex.
- This MSc is accredited in the “Further Learning” category accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). This means that a student with an accredited BEng undergraduate degree can take the accredited "Further Learning" MSc to top-up their academic qualifications in order to meet the full academic requirements for conferral of the title of Chartered Engineer. This is an alternative route to the 5-year undergraduate MEng route.
- This taught MSc/PgDip offers a wide exposure to the philosophy and practice of engineering design whilst simultaneously enabling the students to deepen their knowledge of certain engineering disciplines, which have largely been chosen on the basis of the research and design teaching strengths of the discipline. The choice includes Materials and Mechanics, Dynamics and Control, Desalination Technology and Thermal Science.
- The compulsory design part deals with innovation aspects of industrial and mechanical design and the integration of design methods and techniques. Not only is design taught in this way, but also practised in its research activities, both explicitly and implicitly. It is practised explicitly through research in, for instance rapid design and manufacture, and implicitly through the design of, for instance, heart assist devices, paraplegic assist devices and mountain bike components together with apparatus for experiments and for demonstration.
- You will broaden and/or deepen your knowledge of selected engineering disciplines, which have been chosen on the basis of our research strengths, including materials, vibration, control and desalination.
- This programme has a September and January intake*.
*For suitably qualified candidates.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions