A 2.1 equivalent degree (GPA 3.0) in any Engineering Discipline or Physical Sciences/Maths degree that contains the core modules: Materials, thermodynamics, dynamics and maths.
Applicants with a high 2.2 equivalent degree classification but 2:1 standard marks in core modules may be considered for entry.
Months of entry
This Masters programme provides advanced experience of the central role that manufacture and design take in the integration of mechanical engineering.
- The University of Glasgow has been delivering world-class engineering education and research since 1840. Mechanical Engineering is a core engineering discipline that has a long history in the University dating back to the 1760s with academic contributors such as James Watt.
- The School of Engineering has extensive contacts with industrial partners who contribute to several of their taught courses through active teaching, curriculum development, and panel discussion. Recent contributors in the area of mechanical engineering include Babcock, Howdens and Terex.
- Mechanical Engineering at Glasgow is ranked in the top 20 in the UK (Complete University Guide 2022).
- This MSc is in the process of gaining reaccreditation with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- This taught MSc/PgDip offers a wide exposure to the philosophy and practice of engineering design whilst simultaneously enabling the students to deepen their knowledge of certain engineering disciplines, which have largely been chosen on the basis of the research and design teaching strengths of the discipline. The choice includes Materials and Mechanics, Dynamics and Control, Desalination Technology and Thermal Science.
- The compulsory design part deals with innovation aspects of industrial and mechanical design and the integration of design methods and techniques. Not only is design taught in this way, but also practised in its research activities, both explicitly and implicitly. It is practised explicitly through research in, for instance rapid design and manufacture, and implicitly through the design of, for instance, heart assist devices, paraplegic assist devices and mountain bike components together with apparatus for experiments and for demonstration.
- You will broaden and/or deepen your knowledge of selected engineering disciplines, which have been chosen on the basis of our research strengths, including materials, vibration, control and desalination.
- The school has an Athena Swan Bronze Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
- This programme has a September and January intake*.
*For suitably qualified candidates.
Information for international students
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- 6.5 with 3 subtests at 6.5 or 6.5 overall with no subtest below 6.0 and Writing at 6.5
- Tests must have been taken within 2 years 5 months of start date. Applicants must meet the overall and subtest requirements using a single test.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions