A 2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in law or other subject with at least 50% of the credits in law. We also consider applications from politics, international relations, European studies or war studies graduates.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This is an innovative programme that focuses on the role and relevance of international law in a rapidly changing global security environment. It reflects the breadth of contemporary international security issues, addressing issues as diverse as terrorism, armed conflicts and transnational organised crime.
- If you want to increase your horizons to an international platform, look beyond domestic legal orders and learn about global security issues, this LLM is ideal for you.
- You will be taught by an excellent team that truly understands international issues, with staff drawn from Canada, Germany, Scotland, Greece and Uzbekistan.
- You will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to work as security consultant or practitioner with governments, international organizations and NGOs.
- The programme includes optional participation in a student trip to Geneva.
- We offer excellent facilities including our dedicated School of Law library; our main University library also contains our extensive collection of legal materials and official publications and is a European Documentation Centre.
- The programme is based on small-group, seminar-style teaching by experts in the field. The programme is complemented by guest speaker events and research workshops, allowing students to get involved with leading academics from outside Glasgow.
You are required to take one core course and three optional courses, as well as to submit a dissertation. Courses are delivered through a combination of lectures, seminars and project work.
- International law and international security.
Optional Courses may include
- Advanced introduction to international criminal law
- Advanced introduction to the law of the United Nations
- Clinic: Human rights and humanitarian law in practice
- International and European human rights law
- International courts and tribunals
- International law and international economic governance
- International security and international relations
- The laws of armed conflict.
Information for international students
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The LLM in International Law & Security is an innovative programme. Designed to provide you with a critical understanding of the role of international law in international security.
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions