Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2.1 Honours degree in Physics or a related subject.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
The Masters in Astrophysics gives you an understanding of the principles and methods of modern astrophysics at a level appropriate for a professional physicist.
- This programme is accredited by the Institute of Physics. Accredited MSc programmes automatically meet the master’s level education requirement for Chartered Physicist (CPhys) status. To fully meet the educational requirements for CPhys graduates must also possess an IOP accredited undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- The School plays a world-leading role in the design and operation of the worldwide network of laser interferometers that have detected gravitational waves.
- The School has a major role in the award winning NASA RHESSI X-ray mission studying solar flares and in several other forthcoming international space missions such as ESA’s Solar Orbiter.
- The School of Physics and Astronomy is highly active in research and knowledge transfer projects with industry. Our Masters students have regular opportunities to engage with our industrial collaborators through informal visits, guest lectures and workshops.
- You will also benefit from our membership of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance. The alliance brings together internationally leading physics research across Scotland to form the largest physics grouping in the UK.
- You will gain the theoretical, observational and computational skills necessary to analyse and solve advanced astrophysics problems, providing you with an excellent foundation for a career of scientific leadership in academia or industry.
- You will develop transferable skills that will improve your career prospects, such as project management, team-working, advanced data analysis, problem-solving, critical evaluation of scientific literature, advanced laboratory and computing skills, and how to effectively communicate with different audiences.
- You will benefit from direct contact with our group of international experts who will teach you cutting-edge physics and supervise your projects.
Information for international students
Please see the English language Requirements.
This one-year masters programme is eligible for a new, streamlined visa application process: find out more
Fees and funding
For funding opportunities search the scholarships database.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions