2:1 honours degree or non-UK equivalent (e.g. a GPA of 3.0 or above) in a relevant social science or humanities subject.
Months of entry
This programme provides extensive training in social research methods and is recognised as postgraduate research training by the Economic & Social Research Council.
- You will develop your knowledge of sociology, including a critical understanding of social theory and a knowledge of empirical research studies.
- The programme provides an advanced education in sociology, but can also serve as preparation for further sociological research in a PhD, to which many of our students successfully progress.
You will take five core courses and one optional course, and complete a dissertation.
- Advanced qualitative methods
- Current issues in social theory
- Qualitative methods
- Quantitative data analysis
- Research design.
Optional courses may include
- A public social science
- Class and stratification
- Gender relations
- Generalised linear models
- Improving health and social outcomes
- Introduction to social theory for researchers
- Racism and modernity
- Sexualities and society
- The disabling society.
This programme enhances employability in a range of public and private sector organisations, which increasingly value skills in conducting and interpreting social research.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Socpoi PGT Admin