- Registration with the appropriate professional/regulatory body (NMC, GPhC, PSNI or HCPC)
- Appropriate experience in the area of practice in which applicant will be prescribing
- The ability to study at academic Level 6 or Level 7
- At least 2 years' post-registration clinical experience (pharmacists)
- At least 3 years' post-registration clinical experience (nurses and AHPs)
- Appropriate numeracy skills
- Support from the sponsoring organisation confirming service need and access to appropriate supervised practice, and a prescribing budget to meet the costs of prescriptions on completion of training
- A named designated medical practitioner who will facilitate, supervise and support the student during their clinical placement
- AHP and nurse applicants must have a Disclosure and Barring Service check no more than three years old.
Months of entry
There are two versions of this 8-month PG Certificate programme: standard and clinically enhanced. Both versions are part-time, distance learning programmes and enable a wide range of healthcare professionals to qualify as non-medical prescribers. Pharmacists, nurses, physiotherapists, podiatrists and therapeutic radiographers can qualify as independent prescribers while dietitians and diagnostic radiographers can qualify as supplementary prescribers. The qualification gained meets the standards set by the respective professional/regulatory bodies.
Nine study days at the university cover communication and diagnostic skills, the legal, policy, professional and ethical aspects of prescribing, pharmacology, and patient assessment and monitoring. The emphasis on each skill or aspect of non-medical prescribing is tailored to meet the needs of the different professions that we cater for. Students also spend 90 hours shadowing prescribers in clinical practice working in their chosen specialist area. Students on the clinically enhanced version of the programme also spend 20 hours of clinical skills practice.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 020 8331 9000