About University of Hertfordshire
The University of Hertfordshire has been an innovative force in education since the early 1950s. With heritage in Britain’s pioneering aeronautical industry, the University today hosts a thriving community of more than 30,000 students, studying 550 degree options at our vibrant, inclusive campus-based institution. Our strong relationships with industry and award-winning careers services complement high-quality teaching to ensure Herts’ students gain the knowledge and skills needed to match their ambition to succeed.
Our academics are experts in their fields, powered by curiosity and driven to deliver research that’s making a meaningful social and environmental impact in the UK and beyond our shores. Since the last REF (Research Excellence Framework) delivered in 2014, the University of Hertfordshire has moved up the research excellence rankings by 21 places to position 62 of 129 institutions. Over three quarters (78%) of our research has been ranked as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).
In addition to our excellent overall performance, we have risen 61 places to position 32 in the ranking for research impact, a greater rise than any other university. This means that the impact of our research exceeds that of any post-92 university, and is within the top 25% of all universities. 90% of our research has been classified as having ‘outstanding’ (4*) or ‘very considerable’ (3*) impact.
And we're proud that Herts has jumped 12 places in the 2023 Complete University Guide league table, now seated at 68th in the country. This is the third highest rise in the East of England this year.
Our vision is to transform lives. This means whatever your background, wherever you are from, we will drive your potential, powering you to succeed.
Master your dream at Herts
You bring the dream; we’ll help you make it happen at Herts. We offer a huge variety postgraduate courses across our eight Schools, covering everything from creative arts to sustainable planning, with flexible study options that work around you. And with expert guidance and support as well as fantastic links to business, we can help make your dreams your reality.
Why choose postgraduate study at Herts?
- Employment prospects: 91.5% of our postgraduates are in work or further study within 15 months of finishing their degrees (of those available for work or study, latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2019-20)
- Industry connections: Links with over 1,700 businesses and industrial placements
- Accredited courses: We offer over 40 industry accredited courses and work placements
- Financial support: No application fees. We offer a 20% postgraduate fee discount for University of Hertfordshire graduates. Plus, there's £11,836 of postgraduate funding available**. Find out more about discounts, loans, bursaries, scholarships and grants.
- Excellent location: Hertfordshire has been voted the UK’s best place to live and is just 25 minutes from London
- Fantastic facilities: Multi-million-pound facilities include a mock law court and flight simulation suites
- Award-winning research: For research impact, the University of Hertfordshire is the top ranked post-92 university and in the top 25% of all universities (learn more about the Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
The University of Hertfordshire has a stimulating and vibrant research community which will fully support you as you pursue your path towards academic excellence. We offer a wide variety of research degrees to suit your personal and professional interests and goals. Students benefit from a range of events, bringing together the junior and senior researchers promoting interdisciplinary collaboration, as well as financial and wellbeing support.
- Hertfordshire Business School
- School of Health and Social Work
- School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Life and Medical Sciences
- School of Creative Arts
- School of Social Science, Humanities and Education
- Hertfordshire Law School
Future career prospects
A postgraduate degree from Herts will power or even pivot the direction of your career. Your degree will help you to stand out from the crowd, and our strong industry connections will open doors and opportunities for your future. 91.5% of our postgraduates are in work or further study within 15 months of finishing their degrees (of those available for work or study, latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2019-20
Thinking of studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Hertfordshire? Let’s Talk Postgrad is your chance to chat with our expert academics and learn more about your course of interest, life as a postgraduate student and the opportunities that further study will offer you. Our dedicated postgraduate online event will help you to:
- find out more about your chosen course, module content and our academic staff
- discover more about our study spaces, delivery methods and what to expect at Herts
- ask about employment prospects, industry connections, accreditations and work placements.
- our online event takes place over the course of a week each semester, giving you the chance to speak to our academics and find out more about your postgraduate course(s) of interest.
Our next event is taking place on 19 - 23 June from 16.00 -18.00. Visit our events page.
Located in Hatfield, the University of Hertfordshire is just 25 minutes by train from London and within easy access of the A1(M). Hertfordshire has been voted as the UK’s best place to live (reference).
Our two sites, College Lane and de Havilland are situated less than a kilometre apart. A network of pathways, cycle routes and handy shuttle buses connects the sites.
Facilities and support
At Herts, we want all of our students and staff to get the very most out of their experience. Our fantastic facilities are continually improving to support our ever-growing community, and we offer study, social and support facilities that enhance the student experience. Explore our campus facilities.
Funding and scholarships
We offer a range of tuition fee discounts and non-repayable scholarships to support our postgraduate students. Herts graduates are automatically awarded a 20% discount on postgraduate fees.
You can get funding for postgraduate study through studentships, loans, bursaries and grants - you might also get help from your employer.
Find out more about postgraduate funding
How to apply
We welcome applications until courses start in September and January; however, some courses fill and close quickly and so it is strongly recommended that you submit your application as early as possible.
Whether you're interested in a taught or research postgraduate degree, you can apply to most courses directly via our website. All you need to do is head over to a course page that interests you and the click on the 'apply now' button located in the top left-hand corner of the webpage.
Some courses only accept applications through the UCAS website. If this is relevant to the course you're interested in, you'll just need to follow the instructions on the course webpage on our website.
For PGCE courses, you’ll need to apply via the new postgraduate teacher training application system called DfE apply.
- 44 (0)1707 284000
- University of Hertfordshire
- College Lane
- AL10 9AB
- Social media accounts