About University of Huddersfield
The University of Huddersfield is an award winning university, gaining increasing recognition for the quality of our teaching and research, student satisfaction and our focus on work experience, innovation and enterprise. We were named the Times Higher Education University of the Year in 2013, and have been awarded a number of Queens Awards for international trade and enterprise.
We know how important it is that the investment you make as a postgraduate student earns a healthy return. One of the ways we do that is ensuring that there is a strong interaction between teaching and research. We’ve increased our recruitment of world-class academic staff over the last few years, enabling our postgraduate students to work with leaders in their field.
The wide ranges of courses on offer at the University of Huddersfield means you can specialise in an area you’ve never studied before or expand your knowledge in an area you studied at degree level. Some of our courses are linked to national or international issues or areas that are projected to grow - leading to increasing demand for qualified, knowledgeable individuals.
Our postgraduate courses are designed to be as flexible as possible, because we understand the commitments that some of you will have whilst working towards your qualification. You can study for either a Master’s or Postgraduate Diploma and Postgraduate Certificate on a full or part-time basis. Some courses are also offered as distance learning.
A taught degree offers a clear structure to your postgraduate study, with set teaching periods and opportunities for group work. On the other hand, a research degree offers the freedom to structure your own time and explore an area of study of your choice.
Postgraduate taught courses: Most of our postgraduate taught courses can be studied full-time or part-time and some courses offer distance learning opportunities so you can fit your studies around your lifestyle. If you wish to study part-time but can’t commit to a Master’s degree at this stage then you might want to consider a Postgraduate Certificate or a Postgraduate Diploma. These qualifications are internationally recognised in their own right and they can be built on for higher qualifications within the University in the future.
Postgraduate Research Degrees: We have a suite of research degrees that can be studied on a part-time or full-time basis. A research degree programme will provide you with the training in relevant transferable and research skills which will support you in gaining expertise in a specialist area.
We have a number of part-time courses in areas such as business, human resource management, teacher training and educational development designed to meet the needs for busy professionals looking to gain the skills to advance in their careers or those looking to go into new areas of work or expertise.
Why choose Huddersfield?
Student Support: The reality of studying at postgraduate level can be a big step especially if you’ve been out of education for a while. At Huddersfield, you’ll be able to tap into a range of student networks including support groups and online resources to enable you to keep up-to-date, learn from peers and feel part of our friendly postgraduate community. Support Services can help you juggle the demands of studying, Academic Skills Tutors are there to support your studies and our Careers and Employability Service will help you to achieve your career goals (even after graduating!). There is also English language training available for our international students to help you reach your full potential if you decide to move overseas.
Award winning academic staff: We are the first University to achieve 100% professional recognition for our teaching staff, each one are Fellows or Principal Fellows of the Higher Education Academy. Postgraduate studies allow you to develop your independent learning alongside access to a variety of learning opportunities and resources, and being allocated an experienced personal tutor will ensure you get the most from your studies. Our staff are committed to excellence. They are part of the research community and our World Research Ratings are testament to the standards of excellence they have achieved. As a postgraduate student at Huddersfield your passion for going further and being the very best that you can be will not only be understood and shared but also nurtured.
Location and Facilities
Our campus offers fantastic facilities to ensure you have the best possible experience when you join us. There are innovative new buildings alongside a working canal, tree lined towpath walk, old bridges and sympathetically converted mills and all of our courses have access to the contemporary equipment to give you a competitive advantage in the jobs market. The campus is located in the town centre, allowing easy access to everything you need, including bars, restaurants, and transport links; it has an independent feel with unusual shops, buildings, unique events and festivals. It’s a great place to express your individuality and experience new things.
Huddersfield has a multi-cultural feel with everything you need from theatres to boutiques. Being close to three large Northern cities - Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield - and a gateway to the Peak District and Yorkshire Dales national parks, you’ll never be short of things to do in your free time.
2016 will see the opening of our brand new Oastler building that will house students studying Law, music, humanities and media subjects. Here at Huddersfield we continue to significantly invest in our facilities - from the latest laboratories, studios and performance spaces, to state-of-the-art library and computing equipment helping to give you a competitive advantage in the jobs market.
Research at Huddersfield is aligned with humankind challenges – including resistance to antibiotics, the ageing population and global terrorism. We have created Centres of Excellence across the University and our Research Institutes have formed very high profile partnerships, from Siemens partnering with our International Institute for Accelerator Applications (IIAA) to the UK Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) partnering with our Institute of Railway Research (IRR).
The 3M Buckley Innovation Centre also supports researchers by providing a unique environment for partnerships between businesses and the University, delivering commercial opportunities via flexible access to its technical and research facilities.
Enhance your career
We offer all of our students a supportive environment with the very best academics and state-of-the-art facilities to help you to enhance your career.
Here are just a few benefits of studying for a postgraduate qualification:-
- Advance your career – a postgraduate qualification can give you an extra edge in the competitive jobs market and provide you with the skills to increase your progress on the professional ladder.
- Career change – many postgraduate courses can offer a route into a new profession and conversion courses can help you get into a new industry quickly, such as teaching.
- Pursue your passion for learning – courses at a higher level can enable you to explore niche interests and disciplines. Taught courses provide the option to select modules of interest to you and if you undertake a postgraduate research degree you have the freedom to scope your own study path to meet your goals.
- Gain accredited qualifications – careers such as teaching and nursing require specific qualifications and studying at a postgraduate level will enable you to achieve this.
- Be your own boss – some of our students have chosen to study at a postgraduate level to assist them to start their own business or move into consultancy. For aspiring start-ups and individuals, our Enterprise Team is on-hand to help you get your big ideas off the ground.
- Gain industry insights and develop your professional network – this is often a secondary reason for entering postgraduate study but with our excellent industry links and focus on research you’ll have an opportunity to develop contacts to assist your career progression.
- Excellent industry links - our links to business are an important part of our postgraduate courses in that they help increase the employability of our graduates. Many postgraduate courses are linked to professional accreditations which give you a head start in achieving full accreditation later on.
Why come along?
- Discover a course that’s right for you
- Chat to academic staff, researchers and current postgraduate students
- Find out how postgraduate study can boost your career prospects
- Learn about fees and finance