Applicants should have a primary degree with at least second-class honours, in a relevant discipline such as History, Archaeology, Geography, or Irish Studies. Applicants with approved equivalent qualifications who have substantial experience in the History of Family (such as appropriate publications), or relevant professional experience may also be considered for admission. It is essential that applicants applying for the Online MA must be computer literate and have access to broadband internet.
Months of entry
Semester 1: Introduction to the History of the Family; Sources and Techniques in the History of the family; Linking Families to Communities.
Semester 2: People on the Move: Studying Migration; Research Seminar in the History of the Family; Dissertation I; Dissertation II.
Summer School: Optional on the online programme (People on the Move: Studying Migration).
Information for international students
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet one of the criteria below (no longer than two years prior to application)
Acceptable English Language qualifications include the following:
- Matriculation examinations from European countries where English is presented as a subject and an acceptable level is achieved
- Irish Leaving Certificate English –Ordinary Level Grade D or above
- TOEFL – 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based)
- IELTS – Minimum score of 6.5* with no less than 6 in any one component.
- English Test for English and Academic Purposes (ETAPP) – Grade C1
- GCE ‘O’ level English Language/GCSE English Language – Grade C or above
- University of Cambridge ESOL –Certificate of Proficiency in English - Grade C / Certificate in Advanced English Grade A
- GCE Examination Boards – Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations – Grade C / Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate – School Certificate Pass 1-6 / University of London Entrance and School Examinations Council – School Certificate Pass 1-6
Results in examinations other than those listed above may also be accepted as meeting our English language requirements. Contact the International Education Division for advice.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Ciara Breathnach
- + 353 061 213166