Primary degree in a suitable discipline with first or second class honours or an approved equivalent qualification (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland), or an equivalent capability based on prior professional experience. A performance audition, either in person or through audio or video recording, is required for all applicants. An interview will be required in all cases. Additional materials may be requested at the discretion of the course director.
Months of entry
The MA in Classical String Performance is a two-year, full-time postgraduate programme that facilitates two independent pathways in Keyboard Performance and String Performance. The curriculum emphasizes solo repertoire, chamber music, ensemble work, and accompanying, while encouraging interdisciplinary and collaborative projects across this and other degree programmes at the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance.
The course also includes:
- Membership of Academos, the Irish Chamber Orchestra ensemble that combines ICO members and MA students
- Specialised tuition in a wide range of performance practice techniques including audition techniques, Alexander, Dalcroze Eurhythmics, self-marketing, programme notes, performance anxiety, practice, professionalism, analysis. mindfulness, pedagogy, pilates, yoga….
- Weekly session with accompanist, plus Intensive coaching week with guest pianist per year on duo sonata repertoire.
- A choice of electives and independent studies that draw upon the resources of the Irish World Academy - including Trad, Multimedia, Improvisation, Music Therapy, Community Music and many more.
Information for international students
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet one of the Universities English Language Requirements. Please visit http://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/non-european-applicants for the list of requirements
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||60|
Course contact details
- Diane Daly