Candidates should hold:
- an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification in a discipline other than History; or
- an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification with a major in History or relevant discipline*; or
- an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Bachelor with Honours or AQF Level 9 Masters qualification in History or relevant discipline*.
*Relevant discipline includes: Ancient History, Archaeology, English
Months of entry
The Master of History covers three distinct areas: discipline knowledge, a choice of area studies and writing history. The MHist suits students coming to the study of history for the first time as well as those who want to extend their knowledge in particular areas or upgrade their professional qualifications. The area studies cover both Ancient and Modern History, including Ancient Greece and Rome, the Ancient Near East, Early Modern and Medieval History, American History, Australian History, Asian History, European History and Public History. The course progresses from exploring the nature of history as a discipline through to specialised studies of historical periods and problems, and it ends with the opportunity to undertake substantial historical research projects including writing for publication.
This course offers higher-level writing and research skills development. Moreover, it encourages critical thinking and analytical skills development as well, all of which will be useful in a range of professions especially journalism and media work, public relations, policy development, government and administration. Many of our graduates will wish to work as consulting historians or to continue in the teaching profession.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full timeup to 24 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- UNE International Admissions
- +61 2 6773 2135