2.1 (or international equivalent) in a relevant subject in the arts, humanities, or social sciences
Months of entry
Providing broad-based training in social science research, this course will equip you with the skills to manage a successful research career and contribute to society in a number of ways.
You will develop the following skills and the ability to apply them to practical research contexts:
- Comprehension of the principles of research design and strategy, including an understanding of how to formulate research questions for empirical investigation
- Appreciation of alternative approaches to research
- Understanding of a broad range of research methods (including quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods) and the use of appropriate software for their application
- Advanced research skills and techniques relevant to your field of study
- Research management techniques, including data management, and conducting and disseminating research in a way that is consistent with both professional practice and the normal principles of research ethics
- Understanding of the significance of alternative epistemological positions that provide the context for theory construction, research design, and the selection of appropriate analytical techniques
- Solid grounding in the basics of probability and a critical understanding of the scientific method and the nature of reflexivity
- Application of good ethical practice across the entire research process
Primarily aimed at students following an ESRC-funded pathwayonto a PhD, this course may also be suitable if you are intending to apply for +3 ESRC funding (that is, to cover a PhD) or are interested in developing a wide range of social science research skills.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
This course forms the '1' component of a 1+3 ESRC-funded scholarship with the Midlands Graduate School. It will equip you with the research methods training needed to apply for +3 study on the political science and international relations pathway.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Support Hub
- +44 (0)115 951 5559