Bachelor’s degree or an appropriate health professional qualification requiring at least three years of full-time tertiary study. If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre "English for Otago" programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
In general, this qualification is intended for health professionals who have completed three years of tertiary study and already have experience in the field. The Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (PGDipHealSc) may be taken either as a generic qualification or, more usually, with an endorsement in a specific area of specialisation.
This qualification is designed for flight nurses and allied health professionals engaged in air ambulance transfer and retrieval work and are available through Distance Learning.
- AVME 717 Medical Logistics in Aeromedical Transport
- AVME 718 Operational Aspects of Aeromedical Transport
- AVME 719 Aeromedical Studies for Nurses and Paramedics
- AVME 720 Clinical Analysis in Aeromedical Retrieval and Transport
Structure of the Programme
- The programme of study shall consist of approved papers, to the value of 120 points, which must be as specified in the schedule of endorsed options if the diploma is to be endorsed in an area of specialisation.
- With prior approval, up to two 400-level papers in a relevant or related subject offered by another university or tertiary institution may be credited to the diploma.
- The papers shall constitute a coherent and integrated programme of study in the Health Sciences discipline.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details