Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences).
Every applicant shall
- be a graduate or possess an appropriate health professional qualification requiring at least three years' full-time tertiary study;
- have experience of or be currently working in the relevant field of health care;
- present evidence of ability for advanced level academic study.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre "English for Otago" programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (PGCertHealSc) is designed to enable health professionals to specialise in specific areas of practice at a postgraduate level, studying on a part-time basis. In general, this qualification is intended for health professionals who have completed three years of tertiary study and already have experience in the field.
- NURS 427 Long-term Conditions: Pathophysiology and Management
- NURS 428 Long-term Condition Management (Advanced)
The Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (PGCertHealSc) endorsed in Nursing (Long-term Condition Management) is available through Distance Learning.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time6 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details