Every applicant shall
- be a graduate; and
- have attained a satisfactory standard of academic performance; or
- have submitted evidence satisfactory to the Senate of previous training and experience appropriate to the planned programme of study.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre "English for Otago" programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad) can be used for many purposes, and in some cases, effectively provides an additional major. It requires you to do at least seven papers, of which at least four are at 300-level or above. The programme is designed for graduates and may be completed by full-time candidates in one year.
A DipGrad is a great way to retrain or to update existing qualifications. Many students also find it a convenient way to continue learning and that it is a useful bridge to postgraduate study.
Buddhism is the dominant religion in many Asian countries and has played an important role in the history and culture of Asia.
- RELS 102 Introduction to Hinduism and Buddhism
- Two of CHIN 131, CHIN 132, CHIN 231, CHIN 232, CHIN 334, CHIN 335, JAPA 131, JAPA 132, JAPA 231, JAPA 331, JAPA 332, JAPA 334, SANS 111, SANS 112
- Four of RELS 309, RELS 310, RELS 312, RELS 316, RELS 326, RELS 327, RELS 328, RELS 336
Structure of the Programme
Every programme of study for the diploma shall
- consist of papers worth at least 120 points;
- include at least 72 points for papers at or above 300-level;
- include such other work as may be prescribed in particular cases.
Students who have been granted credit for study elsewhere that has not been counted towards any other qualification may include up to 60 points for such credit in a programme. The credit may be at 100- or 200-level only, except in the case of students participating in the Student Exchange Programme, who may be credited with papers at 300-level or above.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details