A postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre English for Otago programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci) is a one-year programme which builds on an undergraduate science degree. The diploma encompasses both papers and a research topic, and can be taken full-time. It provides entry to the Master of Science (MSc) degree by thesis only.
Energy Science and Technology, and Energy Management are all about how to make the best use of our present and future energy sources. They address critical economic and environmental problems due to energy use by considering the technical, economic and social factors that affect the demand for energy.
- EMAN 490 Dissertation
- Three 400-level EMAN papers
- One further 400-level paper approved by the Programme Director
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for the subject concerned as set out above.
- With the permission of the Heads of the Departments concerned, a candidate may substitute a paper of another subject for one of the required papers.
- Any required research report must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details