A postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre English for Otago programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci) is a one-year programme which builds on an undergraduate science degree. The diploma encompasses both papers and a research topic, and can be taken full-time. It provides entry to the Master of Science (MSc) degree by thesis only.
Food Science builds upon the basic sciences of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and it interacts with such diverse scientific disciplines as Human Nutrition, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Process Engineering. All play an important role in the understanding of the foods we produce, manufacture and consume.
Some of the topics addressed by Food Science include: food manufacturing (product development, processing, packaging); what food is made of (food chemistry and analysis); what has been added (vitamins, preservatives, colour, flavour); how stable it is (shelf life, microbiology); safety (food contaminants, food poisoning); and sensory properties (taste, appearance, smell, texture).
- FOSC 480 Research Project
- FOSC 490 Dissertation
- FOSC 495 Master's Thesis Preparation, and
Papers to make a total of 120 points from:
- FOSC 401 Topics in Advanced Food Science 1
- FOSC 402 Topics in Advanced Food Science 2
- FOSC 403 Topics in Advanced Food Science 3
- FOSC 404 Topics in Advanced Food Science 4
- FOSC 405 Topics in Advanced Food Science 5
Note: With approval from the Head of the Department of Food Science, FOSC 460 or one 400-level paper from another relevant subject may be substituted for one elective 400-level FOSC paper.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for the subject concerned as set out above.
- With the permission of the Heads of the Departments concerned, a candidate may substitute a paper of another subject for one of the required papers.
- Any required research report must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details