Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
Every applicant must either
- be a graduate, or
- have alternative qualifications or experience acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre English for Otago programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Science (PGDipAppSc) is a two semester programme, which builds on an undergraduate Applied Science degree. It allows people who are currently working to undertake blocks of study - one block for the certificate, a second block to complete the diploma. Alternatively, students may wish to complete the 120 point programme in a continuous run.
Science communication is rapidly expanding as an academic field, with endless opportunities for meaningful careers connecting society with advances in the understanding and application of science and technology, as well as nurturing creativity and enjoyment of science. Connect people with science to inspire wonder, nurture greater understanding of the natural world, and empower meaningful action to address society’s greatest challenges.
The science of stories. The stories of science.
Structure of the Programme
The programme of study
- shall consist of approved 400- and 500-level papers, to the value of 120 points, selected from the papers specified in Science Schedule D for the Master of Applied Science subject concerned.
- shall normally include papers from more than one subject.
- may, with the approval of the Head of Department or Course Director concerned, include papers worth up to 40 points from 400- and 500-level papers other than those specified in Science Schedule D.
A candidate who has completed the requirements for the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Science shall be exempted from those papers in the programme for the diploma which have been previously passed for the certificate.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details