Applicants shall either have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Commerce majoring in the subject or subjects of study proposed; or have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre English for Otago programme offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Diploma in Commerce (PGDipCom) is a two-semester paper-based programme designed for graduates seeking to build on their undergraduate degree and enhance their career prospects. Unlike the Bachelor of Commerce with Honours (BCom(Hons)) degree, it does not require students to write a dissertation. The PGDipCom may be awarded with distinction or credit.
The major in International Business is a recent development within the School of Business (Commerce Division). It recognises that business is being conducted in a dynamic, global environment and that organizations, both in New Zealand and through the world, need individuals who can work across the traditional functional boundaries as well as across national borders.
The International Business major offers students the opportunity to combine the study of key international business issues with the study of language and cultural issues.
On completing the degree students will possess the following attributes:
- An understanding of the principles of international business
- An appreciation of New Zealand's position in the global business environment
- The ability to evaluate financial, managerial, economic, organisational and marketing issues in a global context
- The ability to take an interdisciplinary approach to international business
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers and suppliers in different countries
- A good working knowledge of their chosen language including business situations
- A sensitivity to different cultures and the ethical issues facing companies operating in a global environment
- The ability to work effectively in small multicultural groups.
Information for international students
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin - New Zealand’s only true university city. Otago is home to over 3,000 international students, from over 100 countries.
Fees and funding
New Zealand is a relatively affordable country to live in. Dunedin, being a student-focused city, has living and entertainment options for all budgets.
Students are eligible for the Otago International Excellence Scholarship.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details