Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
About University of Plymouth
The University is a dynamic, ambitious and award-winning institution with a research-led culture that encourages innovative and creative ideas with the confidence to turn these into reality.
- Rated as one of the top 25 ‘Universities of the Year’ in the 2018 Whatuni Student Choice Awards, the student experience is at the heart of what Plymouth does
- The University of Plymouth is ranked in the Top 10 of the 2019 Times Higher Education Young University ratings (those 50 years or younger)
- Plymouth is proud to be among the UK’s leading universities for ‘research that is recognised for its global significance and impact’. In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) in 2014 Plymouth overall had more than 63 percent of its research graded at three and four stars, as such, Plymouth retains its place in the Research Fortnight Power League top 50
Location and facilities
The campus is located in the city centre, allowing easy access to shops, restaurants, bars, green spaces, transport and accommodation, plus the city’s main attractions including the Barbican harbour and the Hoe seafront. On campus you will find a 24-hour library, modern student accommodation and a lively students’ union bar.
Our campus facilities are first class, with recent additions including the Marine Station boasting wet labs and an aquarium, and the new performing arts building, ‘The House’, with performance and rehearsal space, a box office to host commercial events and outstanding disability access to enable access to all areas of the lighting and rigging.
Plymouth cares about its impact; with zero waste to landfill in 2015/16, Fairtrade University accreditation since 2009 and a Students’ Union that has been awarded NUS Green Impact ‘Excellence Outstanding’ status
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities is a community where we work hard for our students whether they are in the studio, a seminar room, or in co-curricular activities. We build a culture that has far reaching benefits that go beyond the faculty through the provision of creative learning. We consist of five schools:
- School of Art, Design and Architecture
- School of Humanities and Performing Arts
- Plymouth Institute of Education
- Plymouth Business School
- School of Law, Criminology and Government
Through the provision of creative learning we build a culture of ingenuity, diversity and distinctiveness, a culture that has far reaching benefits that go beyond the faculty, beyond the University and reach out into the community, industry and economy at large.
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities transcends the provision of degrees and doctorates, lectures and workshops by:
- Working with schools and colleges to raise aspirations
- Offering space for the development of creative business ideas through the Formation Zone
- Fostering collaborations both within the University and with external partners through Creative Cultivator
- Bringing a diverse range of cultural events to the people of Plymouth and the South West through The Arts Institute
Bringing together a community comprised of the School of Art, Design and Architecture, the School of Humanities and Performing Arts, Plymouth Institute of Education, Plymouth Business School and the School of Law, Criminology and Government, the Faculty of Arts and Humanities works hard for its students be they in the studio, a seminar room, or in extra-curricular activities.
Plymouth just isn’t like anywhere else, the culture is unique, the location is unparalleled and all of my lectures and support from the university have really helped to set me up to succeed in my journey as a graduate.Georgia O’Carolan MRes Art History
Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences
The six schools within the Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences combine world-leading research and practical expertise across a wide range of scientific and practical disciplines. Our graduates progress to a huge variety of professions and we are one of the UK’s largest providers of graduates for the health and care sector.
- School of Health Professions
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Psychology
- Peninsula school of dentistry
- Peninsula school of medicine
- Peninsula school of biomedical sciences
Study - Driven by our three core principles we’ll guide your studies in medicine, dentistry and biomedical science. If you are highly motivated and talented then join our programmes to become part of the next generation of doctors, dentists and biomedicine research scientists.
Research - Organised within the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine overlapping with Healthcare Services and NHS partners, our research brings together world class strengths and trans-disciplinary collaboration through a “bench to bedside and back” research strategy.
Number one nationally for clinical medical research output, according the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF2014)
I would recommend studying at Plymouth because I have had a great experience and outcome. Plymouth is a very modern university which is constantly growing. It is an accepting community, open to worldly views, and looking into the future. There is a great atmosphere at the University and facilities are only ever improving.Soraya Williams MSc Biomedical Science graduate
The University has been named eighth in the world – and best in the UK – for Marine and Ocean Engineering in the Shanghai Ranking Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019.
At the heart of our teaching philosophy is the desire to offer programmes that are driven by research-informed teaching and are the leading edge in their fields. We want you to have as much hands-on experience with as much of our equipment as possible, to develop skills as well as knowledge.
- School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics
- School of Biological and Marine Sciences
- School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
I would recommend Plymouth for the high quality courses and teaching, academic support, and, of course, a beautiful combination of sea and moorland.Emma Mellor – BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare; MSc Zoo Conservation Biology graduate
We want you to come and join our vibrant community of postgraduate students and benefit from our innovative approach, world leading expertise, world-class facilities and close collaboration with employers. Studying a postgraduate programme with the University of Plymouth ensures that you will be equipped with the most relevant knowledge and skills to be competitive in the workplace.
Our flexible postgraduate programmes can be studied full or part-time and incorporate appropriate input from researchers, current practitioners, professional bodies, business and industry. This ensures our programmes are current, relevant and stimulating and serve to enable students to develop a wide range of practical skills sought by employers.
Fees and Funding
You may be eligible for one of the new government funded loans of up to £11,222 towards the cost of your masters degree. Visit our postgraduate tuition fee webpage for more information.
Alumni loyalty reward for postgraduate study
The University applies a discretionary alumni reward where alumni meet certain criteria on particular postgraduate taught programmes.
- A 20% discount on home/EU tuition fees or
- A £2,000 discount on international tuition fees
PGCE programmes, Master of Architecture, MEng, ResM and postgraduate research degrees are not included in this reward.
Students from over 100 countries currently study with us, attracted to Plymouth by our reputation for teaching and research as well as the opportunity to experience one of the UK’s most beautiful regions. We support you during your studies and before you arrive.
- Social media accounts