There are 3 recognised routes of entry:
1. The award of the CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Leadership & Management obtained within the last 5 years.
2. Military applicants may apply on the basis of Recognised Prior Learning via either their Rank or the award of ICSC and accumulated work experience at a leadership level.
3: Via a Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) portfolio where the applicant can demonstrate they meet the Learning Outcomes of a number of prior units. Please contact our admissions team for more details.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Good leaders are always in high-demand, and their skills and knowledge are highly-valued too. If you're a senior manager in the private or public sector with at least 3 years leadership and management experience – or you're currently an officer in the military – this MSc Leadership and Management (Top-up) course will teach you how to confidently manage and inspire your team.
This course has a flexible structure, so you'll be able to tailor your studies to fit your professional and personal goals. You'll also be able to continue to work while you study, so you'll be able to apply what you've learned in your current workplace, improving your performance in positions of leadership and authority.
This course offers direct entry routes for officers of the Armed Forces, based on rank and experience. For more information visit the Recognition of Prior Learning web pages. The University of Portsmouth is also an Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) approved supplier.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Gain a thorough grounding in how to effectively manage people, alongside the skills to be a confident leader
- Work through a course of learning structured around the National Occupational Management and Leadership Standards: Managing Self and Personal Skills, Providing Direction, Facilitating Change, Working with People, Using Resources, and Achieving Results
- Use what you learn to improve your workplace performance and career prospects
- Have access to all of the resources available to full-time students, including our library's vast selection of electronic resources, accessible from anywhere with an internet connection.
Find out more about this course, our facilities and generous scholarships by attending one of our regular open evenings, where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
Graduates have also set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 023 9284 2991