There are 3 recognised routes of entry:
1. The award of the CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Leadership & Management obtained within the last 5 years.
2. Military applicants may apply on the basis of Recognised Prior Learning via either their Rank or the award of ICSC and accumulated work experience at a leadership level.
3: Via a Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) portfolio where the applicant can demonstrate they meet the Learning Outcomes of a number of prior units.
Please contact our admissions team for more details.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
Good leaders are sought and valued by all organisations. This programme is aimed at senior managers in the private and public sectors (with a minimum of three years of leadership and management experience) and officers in the military.
You will be able to benefit from our flexible structure and delivery allowing you to tailor your studies to meet your professional development needs and succeed as influential managers.
There are direct entry routes for officers of the Armed Forces based on rank and experience, for more information visit the Recognition of Prior Learning web pages. The University of Portsmouth is an ELC approved supplier.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Gain a thorough grounding in how to manage people alongside the skills to be a confident leader
- Make an effective contribution to your workplace, as well as improve your career prospects
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
What opportunities might it lead to?
On successful completion of this course you can apply to become a member of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).
Our teaching is structured around the National Occupational Management and Leadership Standards, which specify six standards: Managing Self and Personal Skills; Providing Direction; Facilitating Change; Working with People; Using Resources, and Achieving Results. Many organisations recognise these standards as a valuable framework for developing competencies and designing development programmes. Having previously studied six work-based learning units, this stage prepares and supports you in planning, implementing and reporting a substantial piece of investigative work that will develop your academic and research capabilities.
Here are the units you will study:
- Research Methods: This unit prepares participants to carry out research by introducing them to investigative methods based on primary and secondary research. The Research Methods Workshop dates for 2018 are: Tuesday 11, Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 September.
- Investigative Report: This is a substantial piece of investigative work based on primary and secondary research. The topic can be from any area of leadership and management which is of academic and practice-based interest.
Learning is self-directed, flexible and supported by University tutors and employers. You will not attend formal lectures, but you can attend the many seminars and presentations held at the University which are open to the public.
For the research aspect of the course there are two elements of assessment using the literature to develop your research capabilities. The Investigative Project is similar to a dissertation, requiring in-depth research into a specific topic within the field of leadership and management.
Effective leadership and management make a major difference in today’s organisations by inspiring people to perform and by improving results. Management and leadership skills are highly valued in all sorts of organisations.
This course will develop your ability to provide strategic direction in order to achieve significant goals within your organisation. It can also enhance your career prospects and act as a springboard to other dynamic and rewarding managerial roles.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
This course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Leadership & Management
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Centre - Portsmouth Business School
- 023 9284 2991