A good honours degree in Psychology that is recognised by The British Psychological Society as conferring Graduate Basis for Chartered membership (GBC). All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
Months of entry
If you're ready to develop your existing skills in the field of psychology – and you'd like to help patients to better manage their long-term illness or recovery – then our MSc Health Psychology course is for you.
On this course, you'll get a thorough grounding in the practice, theory and research of health psychology. You'll learn how mental, emotional and social factors can affect a person's physical well-being, and how a patient's mental and emotional state is affected by an illness, or the recovery from it.
And if you'd rather dive straight into your career once you graduate, you'll also be ready for work in areas such as commercial research, smoking cessation, health promotion and chronic illness management.
On this course, you'll:
- Learn in small groups, allowing you to get the most out of your time on the course
- Be taught by research active psychologists and professionals, with expert knowledge of the theory, practice and research of health psychology
- Make use of our research laboratories, interview rooms, and social interaction and observation suites
- Have access to advanced facilities, including our newly built bio-markers and olfaction laboratory and our mobile simulation vehicle
- Use specialist equipment, such as digital analysis, video editing equipment and eye tracking equipment
- Receive expert guidance on the application of over 300 psychometrics tests, including those designed for adults, children, education and post-traumatic stress, as well as over 50 specific to the Health Psychology field
- Get hands-on with specialist survey development and data collection programmes
- Attend regular research seminars, expanding your knowledge of the subject
Through our existing networks, students will forge many useful links with the local community whilst they are studying. For example, the University of Portsmouth is in Partnership with local NHS Trusts which allows us to work collaboratively with local healthcare providers. We also have active networks linking the University with the local community and wider, for example, the University of Portsmouth Ageing Network (UPAN).
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team