A minimum of a 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants who hold a non-related degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For those who do not hold a degree or relevant professional qualification, extensive experience together with evidence of scholarly ability will be required.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you're ready to combine your training with science to understand sporting performance at the elite level, then our MSc Sports Performance degree course will take your studies to postgraduate level, and give you the skills you need to succeed.
On this course, you'll learn the biomechanics, physiology and psychology that underpins performance enhancement. You'll develop applied techniques, practical skills and research expertise which show how scientific support can be integrated into the world of top-level sport.
We'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your professional practice. Once you graduate, you'll be able to pursue a career in sports performance with professional sports clubs, national sports organisations and private clinics.
What you'll experience
- Develop an interdisciplinary approach to enhancing and maintaining sports performance
- Understand the techniques used to assess team and individual performance
- Use your laboratory and field-based skills including notational systems, performance profiling and dynamical systems, to assess and evaluate sports performance
- Learn to communicate with clients in a professional and approachable style
- Study key topics like Applied Sports Biomechanics, and Environmental Factors Affecting Sports Performance
- Have 24/7 access to our library's electronic resources, including thousands of ejournals, books and newspapers
- Get to use our biomechanics, physiology, psychology and kinanthropometry labs, with professional facilities
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the sports industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career in areas such as teaching, sports development, science support and the health and fitness sectors. During your studies, you can also choose to work toward BASES accreditation as a sport and exercise scientist, and you'll have the theoretical basis for further academic research.
Our previous graduates have gone on to work for organisations including:
- national governing bodies
- sports agencies
- local authorities
- UK Sport
- primary care trusts
- county sports partnership
Career opportunities include:
- high performance sports coach
- personal trainer
- exercise specialist
- corporate fitness manager
- university or college lecturer
- sports facility manager
- PhD study
- clinical trials manager
- sports scientist
- strength and conditioning coach
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566