Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A first or a second class honours degree in a relevant subject or a degree with relevant experience, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
January, May, July, September
By taking this course, you’ll develop a systematic understanding of cyber security and forensics concepts, including how to securely protect and investigate an organisation’s digital assets and systems.
In addition to learning from our experienced academics, you’ll also be given remote access to our dedicated Forensic IT and Cyber Security laboratories. With this, you can gain firsthand experience with specialist software and forensic tools.
You’ll also have the opportunity to attend an online court hearing with a judge presiding as part of your assessments.
Our Master’s emphasis on providing students with real-world insights and practical skills will allow you to effectively and immediately apply your learnings to your career.
What you'll experience
On this course, you’ll:
- Gain familiarity with a range of cyber security disciplines to help you develop, implement, and audit security systems and foster a proactive security management culture
- Study the design and conduct of forensic IT investigations – including crime scene management, forensic tools, and their application
- Build a theoretical understanding of the principles involved with searching for and collecting digital evidence from data storage devices and large datasets
- Discover how to research and navigate the evolving legal, social, and ethical challenges relating to the presentation of digital evidence
- Hone the interpersonal skills needed to work effectively in your field, and learn how to regularly appraise and improve your own performance
Work experience and career planning
Our MSc Cyber Security and Digital Forensics is designed to equip you with the research capabilities and subject expertise needed to help safeguard businesses from online crime.
The soft skills that you can also expect to develop, from open communication to collaboration, will allow you to integrate into a variety of different teams and work environments.
Combined with the support you can receive from our exceptional Careers and Employability Service, these qualities will help position you as a valuable hire to employers across the world.
Additionally, following graduation you can look forward to joining our international Alumni Association. You’ll be able to network with other cyber security professionals and form valuable professional connections – sharing and gaining useful insights and potential career opportunities.
Fees and funding
For information about fees and funding your studies, please visit: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/masters-and-postgraduate-taught/fees-and-funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Study Online
- +44 (0)23 9400 3692