Months of entry
If you want to advance your scientific knowledge to degree level without leaving your job, this BSc (Hons) Applied Science Learning at Work degree is ideal. You'll strengthen your practical scientific skills so you can apply them in your career.
Because the course is work-based, you need to already be in a full-time, part-time or voluntary role. The way you learn is flexible, so you can study wherever is most convenient for you and schedule your studies around your existing commitments.
You can tailor the course to match your professional and personal aspirations and your employer's objectives. You can focus on a pure science such as physics, biology, chemistry or mathematics, or a more general area. You can also specialise in areas such as analysis, experiment design and scientific reporting.
You'll get to put the skills you learn to work instantly in your job, contributing to the success of your company while learning new skills, such as how to communicate scientific information to specialists and non-specialists with confidence and how to make sound professional judgements when faced with complex scientific problems.On this course you'll:
- Choose modules and study topics that match your personal and professional goals, as well as your employer's objectives
- Develop your ability to analyse problems, research and propose solutions, and make important decisions
- Take part in work-based learning (WBL) projects that form part of your daily workload, which ensure that the knowledge you develop is relevant to your employer's business
- Get an optional 1-day induction in Portsmouth at the start of the course and have the opportunity to study on campus, if it suits you
- Learn both technical skills and business knowledge
- Develop your learning plan with the University and your employer, so you can make an effective contribution to your workplace as you learn
- Have full access to our student support services and community including study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students' Union
- Tap in to our Library's electronic resources, which you can access from anywhere with a Web connection
- Choose a Workplace Mentor to support your learning – someone at work who can offer advice, guidance, and moral support
- Have support from an academic tutor specialising in your area of study and a University learning manager who oversees your programme
- Use online tutorials and lectures to help you with study skills, including your analytical and writing skills
When you finish the course, you'll have the skills and knowledge to advance your career with your current employer and boost your long-term career prospects in areas such as environmental management, biotechnology, scientific research and health care management.
You can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- flexible36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Learning at Work
- +44 (0)23 9284 6260