A good honours degree in Interior Design, Architecture or a related subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. An online portfolio submission may be required as part of the selection process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
This course encourages you to engage with interior spaces through creative practice and experimentation, exploring space through material and immaterial matter. The course also supports you to use advanced technologies and to engage with 3D printers.
On this MA Interior Architecture and Design degree course, you'll work with historic and contemporary sites to create interior environments, working from the scale of the city to the scale of the room. The course has a particular focus on the sensory engagement with space.
You'll plan and produce a personal research project, and we'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your practice – so once you graduate, you'll have all the tools you need for a career in interior architecture and interior design, as well as associated creative industries.
What you'll experience
- Have the option to develop a work based learning project to give you experience of the industry whilst you are learning
- Work on live projects, with real clients
- Unpack interior design, sustainable architecture and architectural conservation practice, as well as the relationships between disciplines
- Use facilities including dynamic studios with advanced architectural computing facilities
- Have plenty of opportunities to improve your professional portfolio
- Improve your practical skills in our professional design workshops, featuring facilities for working with resin, plastics and metals, screen printing, moulding and casting
- Be supported by experienced, professional tutors throughout the course of your studies
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the interior design industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
The demand for skilled professionals and innovative sustainable designs is increasing. When you graduate, you'll be ready to work within your specialist discipline in design practices, architectural firms and cross-disciplinary environments.
Career opportunities include:
- Interior design practice
- Architectural practice
- Multidisciplinary design practice
- Exhibition design
- Retail design
- Design your own job
- Teaching in HE
You'll also have the creative skills and professional knowledge to pursue a career in fields such as marketing, advertising, journalism, virtual design and modelling, or in people-centred careers such as project management. You could also explore freelance opportunities or continue your studies to PhD level.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566