A 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Professional experience and other qualifications may be taken into consideration for applicants not meeting this requirement.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Our aquatic ecosystems are under threat. If you want to face the issues of pollution, overfishing and climate change from the frontline – and take your studies and experience to postgraduate level too –then this MSc Applied Aquatic Biology course will meet your ambitions.
The University of Portsmouth is the perfect place to dive into aquatic biology, thanks to the temperate marine habitats and internationally-protected conservation areas on our doorstep. We're also home to some of the best facilities in the country.
Your skills and knowledge can lead to exciting careers in conservation, consultancy and research, but you’ll also be prepared to take on roles in teaching, or pursue further study.
What you'll experience
- Research at the Institute of Marine Sciences, or carry out microbiological work at the University’s Field Centre for Environmental Technology at Petersfield Sewage Works
- Rear coldwater species for restocking programmes, or trial fish food at the Sparsholt College National Aquatics Training Centre
- Cover ecosystem function and management, and learn advanced laboratory and field skills
- Learn from leading international researchers and outside agencies, including environmental consultancies, government bodies and the industry
- Go on field trips, taking part in freshwater stream surveys, learning sampling techniques, and the opportunity to take part in a week-long practical in the Mediterranean Sea
- Get the chance to study abroad through Erasmus, or other conservation and research schemes
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and opportunities to build your CV.
Careers and opportunities
Teaching by leading international researchers, and close links with environmental consultancies, government bodies and the industry, ensures your training links directly to UK and international employment opportunities.
Previous graduates have gone on to pursue:
- consultancy work
- government-based research
- further study
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)23 9284 5566