A minimum of a second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. An online portfolio submission may be required as part of the selection process.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you’re interested in computer animation, computer games, film and television, or music technology, then our MSc Creative Technologies degree course is a great way to take your existing skills and knowledge to postgraduate level.
You'll master the design and application of new hardware, software and techniques used in creative and innovative technology. You'll design, create and manage a media development or research programme. You'll also learn to address research problems and apply your skills to advancing the creative technology industry.
This course can open doors to exciting careers in the entertainment and media industries.
What you'll experience
- Focus on creative problems and develop your portfolio skills, by shaping a project and responding to development issues and feedback.
- Design and develop your own software, systems, 2D/3D assets and innovative solutions
- Get hands-on with our sound studios and multimedia labs, packed with the latest kit used by professionals
- Use our industry-standard game content creation software, VR hardware, motion capture facilities and console development kits
- Get to grips with the latest digital film equipment, including the C300, EX3 and Canon 7D cameras and the Mix Pre-D portable sound mixer
Work experience and career planning
An MSc in Creative Technologies from the University of Portsmouth will give you the specialist knowledge, analytical and problem-solving skills you'll need for a successful career in the field.
Our students have focused on a wide range of project topics, including:
- Computer game programming and technical design
- Virtual Reality for healthcare
- Education, training and simulation
- 3D modelling
- Sound design
- Animation design
- Motion capture
- Cross platform film production
- Online audio visual archiving
Once you graduate, our Careers and Employability service will help you to find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. This support is available for up to 5 years, so we'll continue to help you advance in your career.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566