A minimum of a second-class honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications. Applicants whose main language is English require advanced knowledge of at least one other language (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian or Spanish). Applicants may be subject to assessment if their language competency is not evidenced by their qualifications/application.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 with no component score below 6.5.
Months of entry
Whether you're a university graduate or a practising translator, you can further your knowledge and career with our flexible and industry ready MA Translation Studies degree course.
Advance your practical language, translation and technology skills whilst developing your understanding of professional practices, and networking with industry experts.
You'll benefit from the rich research experience and industry collaborations of teaching staff, who'll provide you with the most up to date theoretical knowledge and working practices, to best prepare you for your career in translation.
This is a flexible course – you can study around your existing professional and personal commitments by choosing between full-time, part-time, campus-based or distance learning options.
- Specialise in translation between English and your choice of eight languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian or Spanish
- Gain free access to translation software's MemoQ and Ooona, the most widely used software tools in the profession
- Choose to have your dissertation supervised by an industry professional, who'll act as an advisor and an insight to the industry
- Combine the newest theories with the most current industry practices to prepare you for your career in translation
- Benefit from the rich research experience of teaching staff and their collaborations with major translation stakeholders, including the European Language Industry Association (ELIA) and the Association of Translation Companies (ATC)
- Network with industry professionals as part of your course, and through internship and job opportunities
Once you complete your Translation Studies MA you'll have the rich academic knowledge and industry know-how to start or advance your career in translation.
This well networked course benefits from collaborations with field experts, including the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI). These ongoing relationships help shape the content of the course and provide you with the right training for you to graduate with the skills you need to thrive within the industry.
Graduates of this course have gone onto areas such as:
- Translation project management
- Freelance Translation
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- 023 9284 5566