There are 4 recognised routes of entry:
1. The award of the CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Leadership & Management obtained within the last 5 years and a minimum of 3 years appropriate management experience.
2. Military applicants may apply on the basis of Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) via either their Rank or the award of ICSC and a minimum of 2 years work experience at a leadership level.
3. Police applicants may apply on the basis of Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) following successful completion of the College of Policing Senior Leadership Development Programme (June 2018 or later) and a minimum of 2 years work experience at Chief Inspector level or equivalent.
4. Via a Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) portfolio where the applicant can demonstrate they meet the Learning Outcomes of a number of prior units.
Please contact the faculty Student Recruitment team for more details.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Take your practical leadership experience you’ve gained in your career and complete a dissertation on leadership or management to convert your experience into a full Master’s degree.
Supported by an expert supervisor, you’ll explore management theory and improve the way you lead and inspire others, and graduate with a recognised academic qualification.
You’ll choose a dissertation topic you’re passionate about and define a suitable research area with your course director.
As you continue to work alongside your studies, you’ll be able to apply your learning directly in your workplace and develop your research and critical analysis skills.
This course is open to anymore with management and leadership experience, but it also offers direct entry routes for officers of the Armed Forces, based on rank and experience, through Recognition of Prior Learning. The University of Portsmouth is also an Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) approved supplier.
- Complete just a dissertation to earn your full MSc degree
- Use your professional experience or military rank to enter the course
- Study a management topic you’re passionate about
- Apply your learning in the workplace
- Get support from expert lecturers and academics
- Networking events
- Regular emails from the Career Ready Programme sharing job opportunities, application tips and events
- Applied projects with companies such as IBM, Boeing and Hampshire County Council
- Workshops to enhance your employability skills
- Recruitment events including the Student and Graduate Opportunities Fair
- 1-to-1 appointments
- CV and cover letter advice
- Interview preparation and practice
- Support starting your own business
You’ll graduate as an expert in leadership with a postgraduate qualification to showcase your skills. Holding a recognised MSc certificate will help you appeal to employers and evidence your experience, both in civilian life and during your time in service.
During your degree, you’ll network with lecturers and fellow students which will support your career development.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 023 9284 2991