You are normally required to have a good first or second class honours degree (or equivalent from a university outside the UK) as well as a minimum of one year’s relevant work experience. Those with other qualifications and a number of years’ relevant work experience will also be considered for entry.
Months of entry
Study a subject with global relevance at a Department known as a centre of excellence in TESOL and Applied Linguistics worldwide. With 1,300 graduates in more than 40 countries pursuing careers in education, governmental and industryrelated fields at all levels, the University’s long-established MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is dedicated to building expertise in the field. Our postgraduate programmes promote intellectual rigour, imaginative insight and critical awareness, and develop professionals who are thoughtful practitioners. They are flexibly delivered to suit individual needs, and all modules are carefully designed to connect theory to practice. Specialist tracks are available for those with and without teaching experience. You can choose either dissertation or portfolio tracks, and pick from an exceptionally wide range of core and optional modules. Both independence and interactional competence are promoted through our mix of lectures, small-class seminars and blended online support. Our Department supplements University pastoral care with individual personal tutor support and academic study skills training. Located on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK, our specialist facilities include outstanding library collections in TESOL/Applied Linguistics, a self-access language learning centre, and access to corpus facilities.
• Leading programme from globally recognised centre for Applied Linguistics
• Suitable for graduates already working or just starting a career in the field of English as a Second/ Foreign Language (ESL/EFL)
• Connects theory with practice and develops teaching expertise
• Taught by experts, providing thorough and critical knowledge of the field
• Offers flexibility and choice, using smallgroup teaching, to suit your individual needs and experiences
• Deepen your specialist knowledge and skills in TESOL and related linguistic areas This master's programme is designed for candidates who wish to develop and deepen knowledge and skills in TESOL and related linguistic areas. Those interested in English language teaching in a broader educational context should apply to MA in Education
Graduates from our postgraduate programmes enter a range of careers worldwide, including teacher training; university research, teaching and leadership; testing and assessment; directing, managing or teaching roles within language teaching institutions.
Information for international students
IELTS: 6.5 overall with no element less than 6.0 (or equivalent)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Amanda Horn
- +44 (0) 118 378 8512