A first class undergraduate degree in physics or a related subject.
Months of entry
You will learn from researchers who were part of the discoveries of the Higgs boson, the third neutrino mixing angle, and gravitational waves.
You’ll be able to take part in front-line experiments at the LHC, in neutrino physics, in the search for dark matter, and in gravitational waves.
You will develop the skills to make new discoveries at the frontiers of physics.
- Dark Matter and the Universe
- Further Quantum Mechanics
- The Development of Particle Physics
- Advanced Electromagnetism
- Research Skills in Physics
- Research Project in Physics
Examples of optional modules
Choose from a range including:
- Introduction to General Relativity
- Particle Astrophysics
- Advanced Particle Physics
- Physics in an Enterprise Culture
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics
- Semiconductor Physics and Technology
- Statistical Physics
Teaching and assessment
One-year individual programme of research.
Taught material is complemented by a 12-month research project in one of our world-leading research groups.
Depending on the subject of your project, it may be possible for you to complete your research at a laboratory outside the University of Sheffield – for example, at CERN.
1 year full-time
Information for international students
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component, or equivalent.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- +44 (0)114 222 3789