The minimum entry requirement is a 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent, in a relevant discipline, as well as GCSE grades 4/C in English, Maths and Science. Applicants with relevant work experience and good academic potential are also encouraged to apply.
Please note that the course does not accept international students.
- IELTS grade 7 with minimum of 7.0 in speaking, reading and listening and 6.5 in writing or equivalent
Months of entry
Midwives are autonomous practitioners who work in a range of roles and settings. The role requires strong leadership.
As a midwife, you’ll be recognised as an expert in supporting, advising and advocating for women and their families during pregnancy, childbirth and post-partum care. You’ll become a highly educated and skilled midwife, who is able to deliver and progress evidenced-based research and holistic midwifery care to women and their families.
Leadership is at the centre of our curriculum, so we can give you the tools you need to qualify as a registered midwife with the potential for career development in several areas including management, leadership, consultancy, educational and research roles. The course leads to registration at masters level.
In preparation for practice as an autonomous midwife in the maternity services, our course emphasises active learning, with a particular focus on:
- developing critical thinking and expert knowledge
- personal and professional reflection
- research awareness
- education that is aligned to meet the UNICEF-UK Baby Friendly Initiative Standards
Clinical practice is provided in the following trusts:
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHSFT (Jessop Wing)
- Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHSFT
- Barnsley Hospitals NHSFT
- Rotherham Hospitals NHS Trust
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
This course is accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council – the professional regulatory body for nurses and midwives.
Please see our University website for the most up-to-date course information: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses
Fees and funding
NHS Learning Support Fund
Eligible students may also be able to apply to the NHS Learning Support Fund.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Programme Lead
- +44 114 222 2043