We welcome applications from students holding, or expecting to hold, an upper second-class honours degree or higher, or equivalent.
Months of entry
In addition to the standard mode of teaching over a semester, we offer stand-alone short courses which are taken over a period of 12 weeks. They are designed to meet the needs of busy mid-career professionals, new entrants to the University and the social sciences, or returners to education who wish to pursue the particular subject area. The short courses can also be taken as part of continuing professional development (CPD). If three of the four modules are completed successfully, a PG Cert Gerontology will be awarded; however, in this case, the tuition fees for the PG Cert apply.
Training in the area of ageing and understanding its causes and consequences, is a critical skill which can benefit employees across a range of professional sectors. Short courses in Gerontology last for 12 weeks and are an effective way of introducing yourself to the study of ageing, or more specialised topics such as mental health, demographic change around the world or poverty and social protection.
The Distance Learning programme provides you with flexibility to access online materials according to your work and life obligations. We also offer a Short Course in the use of quantitative or qualitative research methods, using specialised software. Enrol now and enhance your set of skills in a range of professional sectors, such as health and social care, or policy-making.
The aims of the short courses are to provide you with:
- critical appreciation of key theoretical perspectives in gerontology and their application to the analysis of issues concerning ageing and the life course
- understanding of contemporary debates in gerontology surrounding the lives of older people, their families and societies in developed and developing countries
- the ability to evaluate policies and initiatives concerning population ageing, welfare provision and quality of life of older people, their families and carers
- preparation for, and professional development in, a career in the field of gerontology and applied health and social sciences
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time3 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)23 8059 2980