This programme requires a 2:1 bachelor’s degree involving some quantitative training (e.g. computer science, economics, engineering, mathematics, physics, statistics).
Months of entry
This programme is an ideal opportunity to provide yourself with the analytic skill set necessary for success in commercial companies or the public sector.This programme has a vocational focus and there are opportunities for summer projects in a wide range of industries.
The programme objectives are to:
- train you in the theory and methods of applied statistics to an advanced level;
- introduce you to the main techniques, methods and approaches of operational research, emphasising both the underlying concepts and their practical application;
- introduce you to the main techniques, methods and approaches in data science, emphasizing a variety of applications;
- offer you the opportunity to study more specialised topics selected from a range of options, but within a coherent framework;
- develop your operational research, statistical, and data science skills for problem solving, including (a) mathematical modelling of deterministic and stochastic systems, and designing solution approaches; (b) statistical modelling;
- give you the opportunity of gaining practical experience of applying the problem-solving skills you have learned, by working on a project with an external organisation;
- develop key transferable skills, including personal organisation, teamwork, finding and using information, and written and oral communication;
- develop programming skills in R and in Python.
- develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of an individually researched topic studied as the main project;
- develop skill in organising their research work and in presenting their findings by the production of a substantial dissertation on their chosen project topic.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Social Sciences
- +44 (0)23 8059 7385