Applicants are expected to have an appropriate second-class honours degree, or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University, or relevant professional experience in nutrition, dietetics or other biomedical or health sciences.
The programme is also open to undergraduate medical students who wish to intercalate during their medical studies, who must have successfully completed at least three years of their medical degree and achieved 60% or above in all their Year 3 assessments.
Months of entry
Public health professionals apply core competences from epidemiology and social sciences to develop, implement and evaluate evidence-based programmes to improve health and wellbeing. They are also concerned with equity, quality, effectiveness, cost effectiveness and accessibility of health care and will become involved in policy and strategy development, particularly where this impacts on community health and wellbeing.
Our comprehensive MSc provides a broad public health learning experience and supports the development of relevant expertise. We offer three pathways in nutrition, intelligence and global health with specialist modules to equip you for a career in these specialisms.
We will provide you with thorough training and support to develop essential skills in epidemiology, and quantitative and qualitative competencies, which you will need to analyse healthcare data and develop your own campaigns.
During the programme you will have the opportunity to debate contemporary issues with leading public health experts. You will also meet international researchers in lifecourse epidemiology, geographical aspects of health, health inequalities, maternal and child health and nutrition.
You will learn with and from other students, sharing your experiences from a range of health systems around the world.
Our programme aims to develop your intellectual and practical skills in the core areas of public health to maximise your opportunities for employment as a practitioner or researcher. It will:
- Provide opportunities for you to develop mastery in public health through advancing your analytical skills, communication skills and knowledge.
- Prepare you to lead teams and individuals, build healthy alliances, develop capacity and capability and work in partnership to improve health and wellbeing.
- Enable you to promote the health of populations by influencing the lifestyles of populations, communities and individuals.
- Enable you to prevent ill-health through risk assessment and the promotion and implementation of evidence-based interventions.
- Enable you to use or evaluate research using sound methodological principles.
- Provide you with relevant tools, skills and understanding of concepts and terms, which will support effective public health practice.
We support the careers of aspiring public health researchers and actively encourage applications for further study at PhD level.
This programme is offered by the Faculty of Medicine and as such you will receive most of your teaching in the Faculty of Medicine located in Southampton General Hospital.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries