A Bachelor or Honours degree is required. Applicants without a first degree will be considered providing they can demonstrate an ability to study at degree level. Relevant work experience is required for all pathways. The social work practice education pathway additionally requires a social work qualification.
If you’re a student from overseas and applying with a Tier 4 student visa, we unfortunately can’t accept your application for this course as it falls into the category of being part-time, delivered online or a distance learning course.
Months of entry
Designed for those who are already qualified in social work or an allied profession, our Applied Professional Studies course enables you to undertake additional, part-time professional study.
The course gives you the opportunity to develop knowledge specific to your role and setting. At Stirling, we are at the forefront of contemporary practice and thinking. Some relevant modules are recognised by organisations such as the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). The running of a specific pathway or standalone module in any given year will depend upon demand.
You can work towards our core Masters degree, the MSc Applied Professional Studies, or opt to specialise in one of the following pathways of study:
- Child Welfare and Protection
- Management and Leadership in Social Services
- Adult Services, Support and Protection
- Advanced Practice Skills in Child Welfare and Protection
- Social Work Practice Education
Whether you work towards the core Masters or follow a pathway, you’ll find yourself studying under the guidance of an established and trusted teaching team. So wherever you’re hoping your career will lead, we can help you get there.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS Indicator 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) 176 overall with a minimum of 169 in each sub-skill
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) 180 overall with a minimum of 169 in each sub-skill
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 62 overall with 60 in each sub-skill
- IBT TOEFL 80 overall with 18 in reading, 23 in writing, 19 in listening and 21 in speaking
- IBT TOEFL Special Home Edition Test 80 overall with 18 in reading, 23 in writing, 19 in listening and 21 in speaking
- Trinity ISE II Pass overall and Merit in all sub-skills, ISE III Pass overall and in all sub-skills, ISE IV Pass overall and in all sub-skills
- Aptis (4 skills) CEFR B2 overall and B2 in all sub-skills
- Duolingo 105 overall with a minimum of 95 in each sub-skill
- LanguageCert International ESOL B2 Communicator - Pass with minimum 33 in each sub-skill
If you are from India, Bangladesh, Ghana or Nigeria please also check your country/region specific page for any additional, or changes to, English language requirements.
For more information on ways that you can meet our English language requirements, including options to waive the requirement, please read our information on English language requirements.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- University of Stirling