About University of Strathclyde
Strathclyde Business School has been named ‘Business School of the Year’ at the Times Higher Education Awards 2016 for its outstanding overall performance and its innovative and entrepreneurial outlook.
The University of Strathclyde is Times Higher Education UK Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2013/14 and UK University of the year 2012/13. Judges described the University as a “bold, imaginative and innovative institution”
The University of Strathclyde in Glasgow is one of the UK's leading universities, meeting the needs of students, employers, industry and the wider community through its teaching, research and consultancy. Founded in 1796 and granted its Royal Charter in 1964, the ethos of 'useful learning' has always been at the heart of what Strathclyde offers. Today, Strathclyde is the third largest university in Scotland and welcomes more than 15,000 full-time students from over 100 countries, who are attracted by the University's strong academic reputation and stimulating study environment.
The University has an excellent reputation not only in teaching and research but also for its strong links with industry and the commercial sector. Strathclyde is a leading international technological university, and occupies a unique place among British universities by combining academic tradition with forward-thinking teaching and innovative research. Every year thousands of students make Strathclyde their first choice. This is largely thanks to our world-class reputation, but also because Strathclyde is a friendly and forward-thinking university based in the heart of Glasgow, one of Europe's finest cities. If Glasgow whets your appetite for seeing more of Scotland, you couldn't be better placed than at the University of Strathclyde.
Research Excellence Framework – REF 2014
Research is of central importance in everything that we do at Strathclyde. It informs our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and allows us to translate findings into impact which makes a difference to business, industry and society as a whole
Strathclyde has jumped 14 places in the latest Research Excellence Framework, one of the biggest moves in the UK.
We are in the top 20 research-intensive universities in the UK.
- Our REF results places us at 4th in Scotland.
- A total of 13 departments are ranked in their subject top 10 in the UK.
- Our ‘Research Environment’ score is the third best in Scotland.
- Four subjects have the top ‘Research Environment’ score in Scotland.
- Our institutional ‘Intensity’ score is third in Scotland and 29th in the UK.
- Strathclyde’s intensity-weighted GPA score puts us at 17th in the UK.
The University has four faculties: Humanities and Social Sciences, Engineering, Science, and the Strathclyde Business School. We offer a wide range of postgraduate courses in all disciplines and we are recognised as one of the largest providers of postgraduate education in the UK. We also offer research-based programmes in all departments.
- Seven of our eight Engineering departments are ranked in the top 10 in the UK.
- The Electronic and Electrical Engineering subject area is third in the UK and first in Scotland.
- The joint research including: Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering; Design, Manufacture and Engineering Management; Chemical and Process Engineering; and Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering is rated fourth in the UK.
- Civil Engineering’s research is placed at eighth in the UK and first in Scotland.
The Faculty of Engineering at Strathclyde is “First for Engineering” in Scotland and is one of the largest, best equipped engineering faculty in the UK and easily the largest in Scotland. We are renowned for our close links with industry, our outstanding teaching and research ratings, and our state of the art facilities. This means that our graduates are in demand world-wide. If you are serious about a career in engineering, this is the place to be. The portfolio of postgraduate degrees is one of the largest in the UK.
- Biomedical engineering (including Prosthetics and Orthotics)
- Chemical and Process Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Design, Manufacture and Engineering Management
- Electronic & Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Naval Architecture, Ocean & Marine Engineering
- The Department of Physics is rated the number one department in the UK – above both Oxford and Cambridge.
- The Pharmacy, Biomedical Engineering, Speech and Language Therapy and Physical Activity and Health research grouping is fourth in the UK and first in Scotland.
Science graduates from Strathclyde have an edge. Employers admire the quality of teaching, the facilities and the high-calibre research that has led to numerous life-changing breakthroughs. If you seek excellence and innovation, we guarantee you’ll find it here where there is an emphasis on the application of science. Alongside world-class pure research, we emphasize the application of science and career-oriented degrees
The Faculty includes one of Scotland’s top Law Schools and is a leading provider of professional development within the public and voluntary sector professions. It puts the student experience at its heart, striving for excellence in a research-led environment. More students train to be teachers at Strathclyde than anywhere else in Scotland.
The University offers the very best start for those who will help shape the minds of tomorrow.
- Strathclyde Business School is in the top 10 in UK and number one in Scotland
- Strathclyde Business School’s is placed top in the UK for its Research Environment.
Do you want to join the elite? Less than 1% of business schools in the world hold the Triple Crown – AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA accreditations, and Strathclyde is one of them. If you have what it takes then this is the place to school yourself in business excellence. Strathclyde has the longest established business school in Scotland, where you can study a range of flexible, cross-disciplinary and specialist courses. There is a wide range of specialist Masters programmes, including our flagship MBA, as well as opportunities for research in all departments.
Whatever your reasons for study, your career development is an integral part of your postgraduate education. Studying at Strathclyde means that you will benefit from one of the UK's best university careers services. Our service has been awarded the Government's Charter Mark for service quality five times, and in 2009 came joint second in the UK in an employer commissioned satisfaction survey.
We offer access to world-class IT facilities with over 30 computer labs, most offering 24-hour access. There are 400 Wi-Fi zones across the campus keeping you connected when and where you need it. Library facilities are impressive, offering over 2,000 reader places in total. Competitively priced, good-quality University accommodation is available on campus in the student village and is guaranteed for all full-time international students.
There are excellent facilities for a wide range of sports, including an activities room with a weight-training area, squash courts, a four-lane swimming pool, and a cardiovascular suite with more than 50 exercise machines.
Strathclyde Student’s Association represents students both within the University and the wider community, and there are lots of ways to become involved in the Union’s activities and make new friends.
Living in Glasgow
Glasgow is a financial, commercial and tourist centre, and is one of the liveliest and most stylish cities in the UK. Students can enjoy some of the most exciting arts and cultural events in the world, and Glasgow is identified with innovative architecture and design. Living and studying in Glasgow is a unique experience.
The Strathclyde campus is located in the heart of the city, which ensures you will enjoy all that Glasgow has to offer including its cultural highlights, fantastic shopping and reputation for live music. Glasgow is a great city to be a student in, and the people of Glasgow have a reputation for being friendly and are more than happy to help out if you need advice on what to do and where to go.
How to Apply
- Contact name
- Recruitment and International Office
- Graham Hills Building
- 50 George St
- G1 1QE
- +44 (0)141 548 2913