An ordinary degree, or international equivalent.
Maths & English
- Higher (SCQF Level 6) English Grade C or above
- National 5 (SCQF Level 5) Mathematics Grade C or above
- Maths and English qualifications can be in progress at the time of application.
Acceptable alternative Maths and English qualifications are listed on our PGDE FAQs page.
- evidence that you have experience of working with children in a primary school or related setting
- an understanding of modern primary education
- an ability to relate to people
Relevant experience should be noted in your personal statement.
Months of entry
The Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) is the graduate entry route for those who want to become a primary (or secondary) teacher in Scotland. The PGDE is an internationally recognised qualification, newly qualified teachers will be able to apply for qualified teacher status (QTS) or equivalent in their home country.
Teaching is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding careers you can pursue – you'll shape the minds of tomorrow!
This course will provide the theoretical and practical starting point to your teaching career. You'll acquire the skills, attitudes and competencies to communicate in the classroom.
This course is a professional training course which qualifies you to teach primary education. The qualification is recognised throughout the world and is regulated by the:
- General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS)
- Scottish Government
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
36 weeks full-time including 18 weeks of placement experience.
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 141 444 8100