- An undergraduate degree and clinical experience of at least two years. Applicants are expected to have achieved an Introductory course in Counselling.
- Applicants are expected to have achieved an appropriate introductory course in counselling
- Applicants will either have to evidence that they have previously completed a core profession training in a field relevant to mental health or will need to complete a KSA portfolio. The course team can provide further information
- Proof of a recent DBS check
- Entry is by interview and appropriate references.
- Students will be 21 or over at the start of the course, although in exceptional circumstances applicants will be accepted below this age if they can demonstrate an appropriate level of maturity
- Students will require a placement in a counselling setting that enables them to complete 100 hours of clinical practice which will commence from the second semester of year one.
Months of entry
The MSc programme in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Counselling is an advanced professional and clinical training for students who wish to practice as psychotherapists offering cognitive behaviour therapy and psychodynamic therapy.
Having this dual track approach to understanding mental health widens opportunities to work in a wide range of mental health settings, both statutory, voluntary and private. The course enables the capacity to work from different theoretical approaches to understanding both research and its application to clinical theory and practice.
A dissertation will allow you to explore your integrative approach to therapy and evidence-based practice. The course will enable you to work towards applications for BACP registration and accreditation, and British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) accreditation.
Information for international students
International Requirements: IELTS 6.5 overall (minimum 5.5 in all components) where English is not the students' first language.
For more information as an international applicant please see our website here
Fees and funding
For more inforamtion on funding opportunites please see our website here
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Life
- 01473 338833