Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A minimum of a 2:2 UK honours degree, or a recognised equivalent international qualification.
Applicants who can demonstrate exceptional talent, and can satisfy the panel of their ability to successfully complete the course, may also be considered.Selection process
Offers are made following successful audition and interview.
Months of entry
As a musical theatre performer you must be passionate, creative, and able to form a deep connection with your story, character and audience.
Guildford School of Acting (GSA) is one of the most well-regarded musical theatre schools in the world, and our new two-year MFA in Musical Theatre will provide you with the very best conservatoire training within a top UK university environment.
Building on our international reputation in Musical Theatre this two-year course is unique in Europe in the way it combines training to enhance your skills with professional opportunities and chances to launch your career.
On our Musical Theatre MFA course, you will gain a broad range of musical theatre knowledge and skills while performing in a variety of outstanding productions.
Supported by first-class teaching, your learning will involve a working knowledge of historical, critical and theoretical content, and the creation of performances that will be presented to agents and professionals for maximum industry exposure.
A high percentage of GSA alumni appear in the cast lists of West End shows and national tours. Last year, over 95 per cent of GSA graduates gained professional representation or professional contracts within the first year of graduating.
Information for international studentsEnglish language requirements
IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in each element.
View the other English language qualifications that we accept.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your programme, we offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies here
Fees and funding
START DATE: OCTOBER 2021
Full-time - 2 years
- These fees apply to students commencing study in the academic year 2020-21 only. Fees for new starters are reviewed annually.
- If you are on a two-year full-time MFA course, the annual fee is payable in Year 1 and Year 2 of the course.
There are associated costs with this programme:
- General/programme additional costs: £50 score hire deposit for library
- Commuting (local travel expenses): £175 - Travel to and from London for professional jury and potential audition experience sessions
- Production expenses: £175-£350 - Portfolio photographs
- Safety equipment and/or uniform: £180 - Uniform including specialist footwear and boneprop
- UK-based activity: £100 approx. - Theatre trips/masterclasses - students should aim to see some live theatre and will have the opportunity to attend optional masterclasses
- Books/ stationery/ admin: £60
- Students will undertake a work placement on a professional pantomime production; either as a performer or observer. This may incur some additional travel and accommodation costs, which will vary depending on location.
Grand total: £740 - £915
Students may wish to apply for Spotlight (including graduates casting list) and Equity membership - £380 approximately. During the course of their programme, they may also wish to join the GSA Students' Union Society - £5 per annum.
Students are offered a weeks training in Stage Combat leading to Actors Combat Theatrical Training (ACTT) Standard Level Exam. Opportunities for advanced training may also be available to students. These are extra-curricular courses so additional charges apply.
All students at GSA are encouraged to attend productions of their fellow students’ work to enrich their learning experience and give opportunities for critical analysis. These are public events for which students will be charged a reduced ticket price of £5. Some productions will be free to attend. Within the course of an academic year a student might expect to attend around 25 productions.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1483 682222