- 2:2 honours degree or above in a relevant subject
- Applicants without these qualifications but with relevant professional experience will be considered on an individual basis
- A good standard of fluency in Gaelic is necessary
Months of entry
This ground-breaking, internationally acclaimed masters programme offers you a unique opportunity to investigate Gaelic culture – entirely through the language of the Gaels themselves.
The course gives you the chance to study in-depth the extraordinary transformations affecting the Gaelic world during recent centuries up to the present day, drawing upon the wealth of material culture, literature, tradition, and language of the people of the Highlands.
You may already be knowledgeable on the tradition, material culture and history of different Highland districts. By placing them in a wider regional context through your studies, with a specific focus on material culture – the many objects made and used in the Highlands – you will attain a deeper understanding of the world of the Gaels, both past and present.
The course is taught in Gaelic, from a Gaelic perspective, by internationally recognised scholars, therefore communicative ability in the language is essential.
- It is available to study entirely online
- You can fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments
- Emphasis on developing skills in fieldwork, oral interviewing and archival research
- Building strong links with local communities, local and national museums and agencies
- You can study individual modules for personal or professional development, or work towards the PgCert, PgDip or masters degree
Information for international students
For information, please view our page for international students: International - UHI
Fees and funding
For information, please view our Fees/Funding tab: MSc Material Culture and Gàidhealtachd History (uhi.ac.uk)
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36-72 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 01463 279190