- 2:2 honours degree or equivalent in any subject. A third or ordinary degree will be considered with appropriate professional experience
- Candidates with no formal qualifications, who can demonstrate a capability and engagement in appropriate CPD, will also be considered, in some cases with the completion of a bridging module
- Candidates must be in employment in education or training
Months of entry
This MEd Tertiary and Higher Education is designed to support the professional development of individuals working in education and training at either tertiary or higher education level. The intention is to strengthen and enhance participants' understanding of educational issues while raising their professional profiles.
You will be encouraged to discuss and analyse information from a wide range of theoretical perspectives and apply them to your own professional practice. You will have the opportunity to focus your studies on an area of professional educational interest while developing research skills and an understanding of ethical principles in higher education.
The course can help you to make changes in your professional practice that can have a positive impact on you and on your learners.
The course also offers specialist modules for those working in a clinical practice and who teach, for example; nursing or dental students. Students who choose this option can exit with a PgCert Clinical Pedagogy or continue on to the full MEd Tertiary and Higher Education.
It is recommended that you attend the face-to-face induction offered at the beginning of the course.
- The course is available to study part time, online through the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE), enabling you to fit your study around your personal and professional commitments
- Option for a face-to-face induction which, although not compulsory, is highly recommended
- Reflective learning is at the heart of this course allowing you to use your learning to enhance your professional practice
- You can choose to study individual modules for continuing professional development (CPD), or work towards the PgCert, PgDip, or full masters degree
- If you are member of staff, or a postgraduate research student of the University of the Highlands and Islands, and are practicing in relation to higher education learning and teaching, you will be eligible to use your work on the PgCert to achieve Associate Fellow or Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time18-60 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 01463 279190