- The EMJMD ACES+ programme has a truly global focus and looks to recruit students from all over the world. Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in one of the fields of environmental or social sciences, as well as a good level of English (at least IELTS 6.5 or equivalent). Basic French is recommended (although not essential, as intensive French language classes are provided) for day to day living in Semester 2. Admission is granted on the basis of a competitive selection procedure.
- The course is open to international students who are able to study at SAMS UHI with a standard visitor visa, which allows students to study for a period of 6 months in the UK before moving to the University of Crete.
Months of entry
The Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree in Aquaculture, Environment and Society Plus (EMJMD ACES+) offers specialised training to deliver highly skilled graduates capable of addressing the challenge of food provision for a growing world population and ecosystem restoration at a time of climate change.
Food security and ecosystem restoration, through aquaculture, is of global importance and, in the face of declining resources, aquaculture will have an increasing demand for people with in-depth knowledge and practical expertise to enable this major industry to produce nutritious, high-quality, affordable foods and other products. Graduates will be capable of addressing these challenges and will have exciting international career opportunities.
The sustainable development of the aquaculture industry in Europe has become essential for improving the competitiveness of this sector internationally. There are, however, many major scientific, technological and social obstacles to overcome. Students will be equipped with the necessary skills to tackle these obstacles in the years to come.
- The course is delivered by an international team of experts at European Centres of Excellence in teaching and research including Scottish Association for Marine Science UHI; University of Crete (Greece) and University of Nantes (France)
- The course language will be English although students are encouraged to learn Greek and French
- 64+ associate institutes are an integral part of this course, providing guest scholars with international reputations, 5* research facilities and industry-based dissertation placements
- The course gives students an opportunity to study for 6 months in three European countries and offers an unparalleled insight into aquaculture practices and policies across Europe and beyond
- You will gain research experience through a dissertation, linked to an industrial partner and hosted by an ACES+ partner, with supervision from experts in the field
- You will benefit from strong peer-group support and networking, developed throughout the programme as you move around the partners as one group during the first three semesters
- Scholarships are available on a competitive basis. Any student can apply for a scholarship, and applications from EU and particularly non-EU candidates are welcome
Information for international students
English Language Requirements
Our programmes are taught and examined in English. To make the most of your studies, you must be able to communicate fluently and accurately in spoken and written English and provide certified proof of your competence before starting your course. Please note that English language tests need to have been taken no more than two years prior to the start date of the course. The standard English Language criteria to study at the University of the Highlands and Islands are detailed on our English language requirements page
Fees and funding
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships are available for this programme, which cover tuition fees and provide installation, travel and monthly subsistence funding.
Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre scholarships are available to cover tuition fees.
Please see website – www.emm-aces.org for full details.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details